The Savvy Musician in ACTION:
An Experiential Retreat on Music Entrepreneurship & Leadership
June 6-9, 2013
University of South Carolina, School of Music
Please consider joining us for this life altering experience.
A Retreat Like No Other…
The Savvy Musician in ACTION is an intensive, experiential 3½-day retreat designed to cultivate music entrepreneurs and leaders. Think The Apprentice meets Higher Education.
Combining interactive presentations, games, team challenges, breakout groups, video conferencing, mentorship, networking, and competitions, each day of this solutions-based event is built around a different challenge facing the music world.
Join us to learn what it takes to thrive professionally and increase impact in our exciting but unpredictable era.
Each day of The Savvy Musician in ACTION has a different emphasis:
- Thursday—Entrepreneurial mindset and the arts world. Setting the stage for the rest of the retreat.
- Friday—Arts marketing. Constructing a comprehensive marketing campaign that works. Lessons learned can be applied to marketing any aspect of a music career.
- Saturday—Arts-based ventures. Imagining, designing, and building an arts-based business with the potential to generate revenue and impact.
- Sunday—Music in higher education. Exploring the future of music schools and the role entrepreneurship / leadership should play for students and faculty.
For more information, visit http://www.music.sc.edu/CILEM/Retreat.html
Who Should Attend?
- College music students
- College music faculty & administrators
- Professional musicians
Who Will Lead?
The Savvy Musician in ACTION incorporates presenters, facilitators, Skype mentors, in-house mentors, judges, business owners, and participants. A partial faculty list includes:
- David Cutler (pianist; composer; author of The Savvy Musician)
- Tayloe Harding (dean, University of South Carolina School of Music; past-president, College Music Society)
- Michael Harley (bassoonist, Alarm Will Sound; director, Southern Exposure New Music Series)
- Janet Hopkins (mezzo-soprano, Metropolitan Opera)
- Ariel Hyatt (founder & president, Cyber PR)
- Justin Kantor (cellist; founder of le poisson rouge)
- Lance LaDuke (trombone, euphonium, & ukelele, Boston Brass)
- Ken May (executive director, South Carolina Arts Commission)
- Rebecca Nagel (oboist; director of Spark: Carolina’s Music Leadership Laboratory)
- Armen Shaomian (pianist, founder & CEO of Armenize)
A full list of participating personnel will be released closer to the retreat date.
Chamber Music Competition
A chamber ensemble of students or young professionals will be awarded a cash prize, full retreat tuition, career counseling, and an opening night performance (June 6). Selection criterion includes artistic excellence and innovative event design. For more information, visit: http://www.music.sc.edu/CILEM/chambercomp.html
- Event begins: Thursday, June 6 @ 2 PM
- Event ends: Sunday, June 9 @ 5 PM (followed by optional networking event)
- Location: University of South Carolina, School of Music
- Tuition: $425 (includes full participation and seven meals)
- Early bird tuition: $399 (paid by April 1, 2013)
- Accommodations: Available from $95 for three nights, see site for details
- Application materials: Click here for the application in word doc format or PDF format. Send application with deposit or complete tuition and optional housing costs to:
- The Savvy Musician in ACTION
USC School of Music
813 Assembly St.
Columbia, SC 29208
For More Information
More detailed information is available on our website: http://www.music.sc.edu/CILEM/Retreat.html
Please direct inquiries about The Savvy Musician in ACTION to: email@example.com.
Leave a Reply