Re-Imagining Arts Higher Education

With classes out of session, hopefully the middle of summer provides some time for those of us involved with arts higher education to reflect on our curriculum, requirements, and goals.

The educational model for the vast majority arts programs today is virtually identical (within each discipline) from university to university. Though each school certainly has unique strengths and weaknesses, most are designed around the same basic framework. In a world where all of the rules seem to be changing at a breakneck pace, is there not room for a few brave programs to adopt unconventional, innovative approaches? If some were bold enough to re-imagine parts of their structure, might there be benefits to both students and the institution?

Of course, just because something is common doesn’t inherently make it ineffective. Conversely, different doesn’t automatically mean superior. And solving one problem typically creates a host of others.

That said, it is hardly controversial to suggest that the arts world can benefit from new thinking and fresh solutions. Why not mirror that reality by offering an assortment of archetypes across arts higher education?

Imagine, for example, how the following reforms would impact the educational experience. Please understand, I am not necessarily recommending that programs adopt all of the changes below, or even any of them. The point here is that there are many ways to approach arts and education, and society benefits from a greater menu of perspectives.

Paradigm 1: AUDITIONS

• Traditional model. Acceptance process is based on artistic ability, grades, and college entrance exams (like the SAT).
  • An alternative. Acceptance also weighs other issues such as creativity, leadership, collaborative skills, or entrepreneurial inclinations.

Paradigm 2: MAJORING IN THE ARTS

• Traditional model. Students are expected to choose a major in a singular artistic field.  (Some programs allow “double majoring,” but this options typically requires more time in school.)
  • An alternative. Encourage or require students to select at least two areas of specialty throughout their single degree program. This priority reflects the real world, where artists must possess multiple skill sets to survive and thrive.

Paradigm 3: CURRICULUM

• Traditional model. Most curricula are chock full of requirements, with very little room for electives.
  • An alternative. Create programs with a high percentage of electives (combined with outstanding advising), allowing students to create a unique education specifically relevant to them.

Paradigm 4: CLASSES & ASSIGNMENTS

• Traditional model. Classes are typically built around a lecture. Students are assigned homework or projects to complete on their own time.
  • An alternative. On their own time, students watch lectures online. During class, the teacher works interactively with them on homework, projects, and other experiential endeavors.

Paradigm 5: PRIVATE LESSONS

• Traditional model. Music students typically take a one hour lesson with a specialist in their area each week (i.e. violinist study with violin professors).
  • Alternative A. For at least one semester, each student studies with someone from another artistic specialty. Imagine the lessons a violinist might learn from a cellist, trombonist, dancer, or painter.
  • Alternative B. For at least one semester, each student studies with a career mentor rather than an artistic one (or does both).
  • Alternative C. Teachers are in their office for certain hours each week. Students are free to show up as often as they want, and stay as long as they desire. If unprepared one week, perhaps they shouldn’t waste the teacher’s time with a meeting. On the other hand, maybe someone could benefit from 3 lessons a week leading to an audition. This open structure also allows students to observe their teacher interacting with others who face similar/different challenges, teaching valuable lessons in pedagogy and beyond. (This is the model I experienced when studying composition at the Hochschule für Musik in Vienna, Austria).

Paradigm 6: ARTS HISTORY

• Traditional model. History classes are taught chronologically, focusing on masterworks and masterminds.
  • Alternative A. Approach this class in reverse chronology, starting with what is relevant today. (Incidentally, this is how history really works. Everyone lives in the present, and is informed by what came before.)
  • Alternative B. Additional focus placed on the business models of artists throughout history, successful and not, since that is a challenge that will surely face our students.

Paradigm 7: THEORY CLASS

• Traditional model. Most energy focused on developing technique. Secondary emphasis on learning literature. Smallest emphasis on creative projects (improv, composition, etc.).
  • An alternative. Flip the equation.

Paradigm 8: ARTS EDUCATION

• Traditional model. Student teaching takes place during the last year of study, after students have “learned” many tricks of the trade.
  • An alternative. Student teaching also occurs during the first year of study. This shows them what needs to be learned early on, and frames their entire college experience.

Paradigm 9: DOCTORAL EXAMS

• Traditional model. After coursework is complete, doctoral candidates take oral exams covering a huge body of information, some of which was learned during the degree. (I studied for eight months prior to my orals, 12 hours per day. Though I hate to brag, if you had met me the day of orals, I was really smart!  That day…)
  • An alternative. Begin the degree with some version of orals. Get people excited about researching and learning on their own before choosing classes.

Paradigm 10: DEGREE RECITALS

• Traditional model. For musicians, this solo recitals features a pre-determined assortment of styles performed in a school hall very well.
  • Alternative A. See the article here.
  • Alternative B. Require chamber recitals instead of solo events, emphasizing the importance of collaboration.

Paradigm 11: INTERNSHIPS

• Traditional model. Students in some majors are required to complete a summer or semester-long internship as part of their degree program.
  • An alternative. Partner students with an external organization throughout their studies, so they are constantly challenged by real-world, practical concerns and trends.

Paradigm 12: FACULTY SCHOLARSHIP

• Traditional model. Tenure-track/tenured faculty members are required to publish or produce other scholarship in an area of expertise. Institutions tend to value: 1) peer-reviewed, 2) national/international profile, 3) non-teaching, and non-service related (writing a textbook or helping out a local community are nice, but they usually counts as “teaching” or “service” respectively, not “scholarship”).
  • Alternative A. Give the option of weighing scholarship by other metrics. If your provocative blog post is read by 100,000 people, its impact may be as great or greater than an article written for an academic journal read only by a handful of like-minded specialists.
  • Alternative B. Reward people for making a difference locally, rather than placing highest value on out of town initiatives.
  • Alternative C. Emphasize the importance of research related to teaching and doing meaningful work within the community by carving a path for some of these activities to count as “scholarship.”

What do you think?  Let’s start a dialogue.

RELATED ARTICLES:

270 Responses to “Re-Imagining Arts Higher Education”

1. How can I get Firefox a few to quit logging me personally out everytime I close the web browser?

2. I’m just studying pertaining to my bachelors degree in computer technology, and I might continue on to get a masters degree. I have my A+ and Network+ qualifications, and I’m planning on getting Linux, Network Security, as well as the Microsoft accreditations… Can I obtain a job carrying out computer forensics with this? If not, what should I do to increase my chances of getting a pc forensics work?.. Thanks. Somewhat more info: I actually do more development than anything at all with computer systems, but I am just pretty good with all the non-programming aspect too..

3. Im a computer engineering pupil but i actually is planning to shift to other programs if pc engineering won’t have a licensure/board exam.. i wish to be a registered computer engineer!.

4. 各種の偽造在留カード:http://www.gizocard.com/偽造運転免許証:http://www.gizocard.com/liaojinbiao/製作です。偽造免許書:http://www.gizocard.com/会社の設立等の際に、偽造個人番号カード:http://www.gizocard.com/_yi__liu_/必要な場合、お任せ下さいませ。
    地下(アングラ)ビジネスの必需品、偽造身分証、各種証明書等を取り扱っております。
    この業界での一番の偽造個人番号カード:http://www.gizocard.com/_yi__liu_/老舗、いまだ絶好調!偽造免許書:http://www.gizocard.com/

5. What is a blog subject that you would find interesting to read about?

6. How can I insert a tag cloud into my blog @ blogspot? I try using the gadget choices but I can’t find a 3rd party one particular listed. Can someone make sure you show we where to get one particular and how to do the installation?.

7. I am just curious, mainly because I want to study creative writing in college. Thanks!.

8. Great Post ! I am very impressed to see it, thanks for sharing.

9. I am so glad to read your blog post,Thanks for share such a good piece of content with us

10. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value.

11. I want to start my own blog page but I would like a free running a blog site which i can video blog upon but I also wish to be able to do a text sites on it to? Does anyone know a great site with this?.

12. How can I select how many posts shown on my blogger home page?

13. You are so awesome! I don’t believe I’ve truly read through something like this before. So good to discover somebody with a few unique thoughts on this topic. Seriously.. thank you for starting this up. This site is one thing that is needed on the web, someone with a bit of originality!

14. apply for pr says:

Great post here!

15. Tanner says:

I do like the way you have presented this specific problem and it does supply me personally some fodder for consideration. Nevertheless, because of what precisely I have seen, I only trust when the feed-back stack on that individuals keep on point and in no way get started on a soap box associated with some other news of the day. Still, thank you for this superb piece and while I do not necessarily agree with the idea in totality, I value your standpoint.

16. Anna Safari says:

Our organization engages gatherings of all sizes and offers the absolute most focused deals and client mind. So when next time you are around the local area, mess around with Dhow Cruise Marina and Creek Dhow Cruise, Also encounter the more stunning side of with desert safari Dubai and lock in for a remarkable ordeal of your lifetime

17. VIP Package Deals (Pickup & Drop off from your Home/Hotel by Land Cruiser, AED 2000 for 6 to 7 Persons (Exclusive Private Vehicle). Free Quad Biking of 15 minutes., Soft Drinks, Water and food will be served on table Free Unlimited Hubblee Bubblee will be served on the table, Horse Riding included for each person Long Camel Ride included for each person

18. http://www.superbrandsreet.com/}オンラインショッピングをスタートさせました。
    平成14年の創業から、私どものお客様は全国のブランドショップの「プロ」の方々でした。きっとあなたのコレクションに加えていただける価値の{ヴァンクリーフ&アーペル:http://www.superbrandsreet.com/products/prclass_149_1.htm|クロムハーツ22k:http://www.superbrandsreet.com/products/prclass_147_1.htm|カルティエ love:http://www.superbrandsreet.com/products/prclass_136_1.htm|ティファニー ネックレス:http://www.superbrandsreet.com/products/prclass_141_1.htm|ティファニー 指輪:http://www.superbrandsreet.com/products/prclass_140_1.htm|ティファニーハート:http://www.superbrandsreet.com/products/prclass_125_1.htm|ティファニー ネックレス:http://www.superbrandsreet.com/products/prclass_124_1.htm|ティファニー 指輪:http://www.superbrandsreet.com/products/prclass_123_1.htm|ティファニーハート:http://www.superbrandsreet.com/products/prclass_72_1.htm|ティファニー ネックレス:

19. facetime pc says:

Thank you very much for discussing the idea, I bookmarked this web page. I am also seeking guidance about facetime on pc, do you know the place where I might discover a thing such as this? I will be back quickly!

20. Maintain an email newsletter and find signups on your web page. You do this by making sure that your preteen is rewarded for carrying out items accurately and that they constantly gets some motivating keyword phrases from you. People can feel that there is no other better stuff for the specific mood.Beverage HoldersBeverage holders are also recommended when it comes to buying some gifts to be given during a golf tournament. An email newsletter allows you typical access to prospective consumers w

21. You made some respectable points there. I looked on the web for the difficulty and found most individuals will go together with along with your website.

22. We provide VIP treatment to all of our clients and tourist. Our staff is dedicated and here at Dubai Desert Safari we provide our clients with a taste of the luxurious life. We create a royal class atmosphere cooperative to make you feel both comfortable and honored. We have best deals for desert safari in dubai.

23. Natisha says:

Nice post. I be taught one thing more challenging on different blogs everyday. It can all the time be stimulating to learn content material from other writers and follow slightly something from their store. I’d choose to make use of some with the content material on my blog whether or not you don’t mind. Natually I’ll offer you a link in your net blog. Thanks for sharing.

24. Dubai Desert Safari – pre book the most popular Dubai tour which includes dune bashing, dinner and entertainment. Book with other Dubai tours and save!

25. You’re totally correct and I understand you. Whenever you wish, we might also chat regarding facetime for pc, one thing that intrigues me. The website is really impressive, cheers!

26. I just want to complete a quick comment as a way to express gratitude to you personally for all those wonderful pointers you’re posting at this site. Time consuming internet investigation has by the end for the day been rewarded with top quality strategies to tell my guests. I might say that many people guests can be extremely endowed to happen in an amazing network with methods . marvellous individuals with useful hints. I feel quite privileged to obtain used your webpages and check toward really more fabulous minutes reading here. Thank you for most things.

27. cheap logo says:

dance floors that have laser lights and disco LED lights would be very cool::

28. Cushioning Footwear- offers runners an elevated shock absorption and minimal medial support.|Apart from this means, you can also discover Proactol at Amazon. It involves the expense of cash and the returns can be massive if you know how to go via with the entire process. The name can be noticed on its official website.|Shipping is some thing that you may think offsets the savings in tax. This is Mr Howard profession segment 26 times scored 30 points fifteen boards. Are you unhappy because of your obese problem?|If footwear is not up to your anticipations, you can exchange it for an additional piece. Although it is a herbal product, but chemists, pharmaceutical retailers do not have Vimax. Its mini lights can be found in big assortments.|You can even refer to magazines and fashion weblogs to know what type of footwear are in style. Frequently, the proprietor of the shop will be waiting on you. The title can be seen on its official web site.|The shoes and boots from this brand arrive up in different colors and patterns. Don’t skip this chance to see this inspirational movie. Try it and you may not regret for buying this kind of a pair of running shoes.|You can not get the benefits of Vigrx Furthermore when you buy phony Vigrx Furthermore. How can you skip Christian Louboutin online store! You can look at different varieties and brands of footwear accessible at affordable costs.|Anybody with an Internet accessibility can see the shoes and purchase the types that they like the best. There are couple of places exactly where you can purchase Proactol. L You ought to target keywords with your PPC advertisements.|But the typical dimension chart is not be appropriate for running. Revitol anti aging package: it is a product which will help to stop your early aging. Great assortment of dress footwear for males is available right here.|You can purchase any footwear from the ease and comfort of your workplace or home at whenever you want. The eagle get 59 fewest factors and 24 seconds timing because the franchise’s times reduced record.|What is it that makes Samuel Windsor footwear so unique? The internet is the generally the least expensive and simplest location to find every thing you require. Bowtrol probiotics have more than five billion active cells.|Whatever kind of footwear you are searching for, you will certainly find the preferred kind of footwear online.

29. The substantial lion,Authentic David Sharpe Jersey, Leo, looms huge outside the front of the imposing green glass building. Do this by putting your contact information and website URL on everything associated with your business like card,Womens David Sharpe Jersey, ads, packaging, stationery, and signs.You should insert a privacy policy on your site because it will increase the amount of users your site gets. Once you try this advice, you will possess good support to your goals in mlm. Obtaining

30. This is highly dependent to several factors. Consider surveys which include everyone in the executive directors to the janitors. Please have a look at the article for additional facts!Article From Article Directory DatabaseUncovering Criteria In Antivirus Web-based Security 2009Maloof Coy   Submitted 2014-06-04 18:36:12 An application shouldn’t get hold of additional permissions that what it necessities. Attempt to modest all the responses that you get from your readers.Inquire about t

31. com portable-solar-generators-solar-powered-generators. Dirt becomes a conductor,Derrick Henry Jersey, which drains power. Might really don’t performed currently which suggests this guitar is usually that frequently actually an outstanding to create. As a result of immediately after the in excess of pointed out actions in direction of eliminate viruses towards your computer system,Customized Titans Jersey, your self can create your personal computer extensively virus-no cost. Some curious people

32. The longest component of the set up was activating it and that precisely took 5 seconds. It becomes an simple phase that is certainly frequently neglected. If you can find someone who can attest to their efficiency, the better. Just one it is Totally free,Aaron Hill Jersey, cost-free is the suitable cost yourself can pay out for turning out to be consumers nonetheless it does close to at a season price tag. In addition, the brand new Brave and Default system enables you to timeyour turn tactical

33. There are certainly a lot of details like that to take into consideration. That is a great point to bring up. I offer the thoughts above as general inspiration but clearly there are questions like the one you bring up where the most important thing will be working in honest good faith. I don?t know if best practices have emerged around things like that, but I am sure that your job is clearly identified as a fair game. Both boys and girls feel the impact of just a moment’s pleasure, for the rest of their lives.

34. The beauty of several arts and styles of bangles is now brought to the consumer market with higher accessibility through online stores. This is why on your own want these a software program that can cover yourself towards spy ware and malware challenges. The concept driving EHS routines is toward spot basic principles and activities into House within just the do the job location that are manufactured toward be much more constructive for the entire world as a complete. I’ve come to be as well wra

35. With these,Womens Josh Malone Jersey, they can integrate these accounts by linking them to one another and may be to your site also. These kinds of all-natural qualities may be propounded some wind turbine to help you producing the primary power back up for the home portable-solar-generators-solar-powered-generators. If you delay paying,Authentic Bengals Jersey, eventually it will halter the whole process and the work will be equally affected.Here’s How To Find A Good Ac Service Contractor

36. It’s on the card but not on any statements, so that if an individual has found a payment cards statement in the trash, they aren’t able to complete a sale that requires the CVV code for verification purposes.Still, tutors can provide clients with a variety of study tools and support during the process. There are various designs of chairs,Cheap Justin Houston Jersey, desks, office cabinets, cabinets for keeping files and many more. In order to have a canvas print, you just provide the

37. It is important to check on your budget earlier purchasing women cruiser bike. Typically a bangle is a circle made of metal or plastic and is decorated with gems,Festus Ezeli Jersey, studs, gold or silver. The chemical development has helped to lead a safer life, also allowed people to live longer life.Harness the effectiveness of web 3.Having a complete FAQ section will help in saving you and the user’s time. Inside of reality,Authentic Marreese Speights Jersey, mainly because of all the

38. It is perfectly fine to build up your resume with alternate jobs that are within the same realm. Be Watchful relating to Shareware – Shareware is a time period that refers in direction of no cost software program or computer software that can be downloaded against a wide variety of web sites. The tradition of wearing bangles has been around for centuries in India. Horse coat color testing is among these processes. Doing so ensures every day exercising. In India bridal jewelry is carefully select

39. However,Cheap Derek Carr Jersey, offices, restaurants,Cheap Khalil Mack Jersey, grocery stores and medical offices will use any company that provides the care and clean they require.Never agree to work with someone before checking them out thoroughly.Decide on the foremost advantageous location. A great thing,Authentic Obi Melifonwu Jersey, however there are individuals who want a quicker way to lose weight.Build a multi functional beneath are excellent recommendations hearth wood Generating a m

40. For many individuals, the idea of beginning a house base enterprise indicators the dream of economic and personal freedom, escaping the speed race,Nene Jersey, and living the life they’ve all the time wished to. Carrying out force-ups this way presents you a much far more extreme exercise in the chest. By no means promote a coupon that stands the opportunity of expiring though inside transit. Enjoying tag or cover and go seek will give you with workout and good quality loved ones time. One does

41. Dirt becomes a conductor, which drains power. In the evenings,Jarran Reed Seahawks Jersey, ladies and gentlemen gathered to discuss the latest topics of the day,Cheap Jimmy Graham Jersey, enjoy a card game or two and socialise with their peers in the midst of the opulent furnishings and comfort of the country home.General ResponsibilitiesJanitors and cleaning people are there to clean your office or business.The same applies to the décor and the other staff required for helping out with t

42. Compare the relevance of exercising to the relevance of taking a shower every day, you have to do it.I’m sure you are beginning to see why hypnosis is indeed the key to playing great golf.With years of study and development, Adidas has been able to incorporate features offering the following advantages:Speed – Adidas superstar shoes are recognized to be light weight. One thing to keep in mind is that even though you may not feel qualified for a position, you still need to have the confidence to

43. docufree. Chances are it is the same thing that everyone else also needs to do better and you could get paid more for being the best at it.Don’t just trust what I am saying. So, make sure to include this in your blog. Another exciting feature is the innovative,distinctive twist to turn-based fight. This is known as Kundan style jewelry. This will make it easier for your readers to explore your site,Black Mark Melancon Jersey, increasing your number of pages views. When lying on your bench you wo

44. Like tutoring services, study materials might come with a price too.htm" target="_blank">Buy Photo voltaic Residence Generator< a>< strong>< em> Federal governing bodies and also urban centers be investing to be able to design that may create work development in addition to lesser electricity costs, yet still event creating a better energy web discussing future generations. Graduate Management Admission Test, commonly referred to as GMAT, is a computer adaptiv

45. Your financial budget can also work with the color of Women’s Cruiser Bike. Dieting can mean sacrificing meals you want,Rockies Michael Cuddyer Jersey, so you need to have to make up for this with a non-food items reward when you fulfill a pounds loss objective. Mention how Choose furnishings that goes nicely with d?corAn additional interesting thing that you should mention in the blog is the decor. Before agreeing on anything,Rockies Jake McGee Jersey, you have to make sure that they are operat

46. CEO adviser says:

I am on the same side as you. I think the admin of this web post is really working hard in support of his web site, since here every material is quality based information.

47. Map of the Chesapeake Bay is available in various formats. Scott has asked for roughly $300 million in incentives,Authentic Ty Lawson Jersey, an increase from the previous budget of $110 million, just as the group faced withering questions from lawmakers about whether or not it can justify its own existence.S. If for example your network server is running on server 2008 directory services you can easily do a single signin. You must be thinking why I mentioned this particular coupon because the V

48. Jesse Grillo says:

I wants to be a master in this issue someday. Can you tell us more about this? Any new news.

49. I believe one of your advertisements triggered my browser to resize, you might want to put that on your blacklist.