Why Arts Education Matters

Probably everyone reading this blog is an ardent advocate of arts education. But why? Is arts education truly necessary?

For my next book, one chapter focuses on the importance of arts education. In researching what others have had to say about this issue, here are some videos I’ve come across. Do you agree with their points? Do you have additional arguments?

This one minute video articulates various rationales for arts education.

Roger H. Brown, President of Berklee College of Music, gives a passionate defense of music education and the importance of encouraging every possible student to participate in a music-related school activity.

Sir Ken Robinson, internationally-renowned expert in the field of creativity and innovation in business and education, discusses why arts education matters.

Here are thoughts by Mike Huckabee, former Republic presidential contender and Arkansas governer.

President Barack Obama shared his thoughts on the importance of music education here.  (Unfortunately, this video cannot be embedded).

Hillary Clinton, former US first lady and current Secreatary of State, on the importance of Dance Education.

This video looks at the Harmony Program out of CUNY in NYC, which provides after-school music education to under-privileged children. The program is modeled off El Sistema, a famed Venezuelan program of the same nature.

Finally, here is an extended panel discussion on the value of arts education produced by Views and Vibes.

What would you like to add?

336 Responses to “Why Arts Education Matters”

1. Download games for Android, iPhone, iPad and take your giggles with
    you you go!

2. Hello! This post could not be written any better!

Reading through this post reminds me of my old
    room mate! He always kept chatting about this. I will forward this page
    to him. Fairly certain he will have a good read. Thank you for sharing!

3. Hi, i believe that i saw you visited my web site so i got here to
    go back the prefer?.I’m attempting to to find
    things to enhance my site!I assume its ok to make use
    of a few of your ideas!!

4. Here, new custom sofas (from Benny’s Upholstery in Liberty, New York) mingle with a
    classic trunk used as a coffee desk.

5. I am really enjoying the theme/design of your
    blog. Do you ever run into any browser compatibility problems?
    A number of my blog visitors have complained about my website not working correctly in Explorer but looks great in Safari.

Do you have any recommendations to help fix this issue?

6. La sélection officielle comptera eighty two films mettant à l’honneur une vingtaine de nationalités, répartis en quatre
    compétitions : Européenne, Expérience, Courts d’Ici et Courts d’Animation.

7. Ancient Capital Hoa Lu (Ninh Binh) – It is a great
    place to explore on a bicycle or perhaps a motorbike if you
    are feeling brave, but Day mekong river tour Hanoi can also be arranged both from hotels in Ninh
    Binh and from Hanoi itself – though we would suggest you will get more out of your visit to Ninh Binh
    if you take it at your own pace. We take a morning junk trip to Dong
    Hoa Hiep Island and go ashore to visit the French.
    April to May and October to February would be more suitable for Vietnam travel.

8. Sheri says:

I just wanted to thank you a lot more for that amazing web site you have produced here.

Its full of useful tips for those who are actually interested in this particular subject, in particular this very post.
    You’re really all absolutely sweet and thoughtful of others and also reading your
    blog posts is a great delight in my opinion. And what a generous treat!
    Ben and I really have pleasure making use of your ideas in what we need to do next week.
    Our list is a distance long which means that your tips will
    definitely be put to fine use.

9. Annabelle says:

Hallo!

Ich mache mir derzeit Gedanken darüber, was für ein Diät-Produkt
    von Interesse wäre. Was auch immer ich bis dato ausprobiert habe, war vollkommen fruchtlos.
    Könnt ihr mir schildern, was ich nun zu berücksichtigen habe?
    Fabrikate, die zwar viel versprechen, am Ende aber nix dabei herauskommt,
    reizen mich hinten und vorne nicht. Es kann doch auf keinen Fall sein, dass
    es Mio. von Mitteln auf dem Markt gibt, aber kein einziges, das ernsthaft hilft.

Über Ideen oder Infos würde ich mich wirklich freuen

Herzliche Grüße
    Thorsten

10. Nice replies in return of this question with real arguments and explaining the whole thing on the topic of that.

11. I love what you guys are up too. Such clever work and exposure!

Keep up the very good works guys I’ve you guys to my own blogroll.

12. I must express my affection for your kind-heartedness for persons
    who need guidance on in this study. Your very own dedication to
    getting the solution around appeared to be pretty invaluable and has
    in most cases encouraged ladies like me to realize their endeavors.
    This warm and friendly instruction signifies so much to me and substantially
    more to my colleagues. Thanks a lot; from each one of us.

13. This ensures there is a sufficient amount of time for them to complete the installation. After all you won’t be able to open the windows
    and listen for traffic noise or see the condition of the unit before you lease.
    They are more likely to take note of something shady when you’ve got some sort of connection with them.

14. you are really a good webmaster. The web site loading
    velocity is amazing. It sort of feels that you are doing any
    distinctive trick. Moreover, The contents are masterpiece.
    you have performed a magnificent task on this subject!

15. I like looking through an article that will make men and
    women think. Also, thank you for permitting me to comment!

16. A clean, wealthy inexperienced lawn can carry the look of your
    complete backyard and is a surefire solution to increase the value of your property.

17. domain says:

fantastic points altogether, you simply gained a new reader.
    What may you suggest in regards to your publish
    that you just made some days ago? Any sure?

18. Now think about it, how interested are you really
    going to be in those ads that have absolutely no photos associated with them.
    An excellent and innovative way to hide essential paraphernalia is to
    invest in some reed-woven boxes that stack on top of each
    other. Pragmatically speaking, taking out insurance will mean that you are ready for anything and
    will be able to replace everything in the case of a tragic incident,.

19. Hi to every one, it’s genuinely a fastidious for me to visit
    this website, it includes priceless Information.

20. Ga je met een groep een sportieve dag beleven laat iedereen dan een stukje
    aan de voorbereiding meewerken.

21. I believe most attackers might expect to see a woman carrying Pepper
    Spray or Personal Alarm, but not a Stun Gun. Animals that don’t immediately succumb usually leave an easily identifiable blood trail to follow.
    Being hydrated doesn’t only come into play during
    the game so be sure you keep yourself hydrated before
    the game.

22. Samara says:

Some times its a pain in the ass to read what people wrote but this web site is real user
    friendly!

23. I’d perpetually want to be update on new posts on this site, saved to
    fav!

24. If you want to obtain a good deal from this article then you have to apply such
    methods to your won web site.

25. mspy.com says:

Some genuinely superb posts on this site, appreciate it for contribution.

26. Foster says:

Superb post.Never knew this, thank you for letting me know.

27. I usewd to be suggested this website via my cousin. I am noww not
    positive whether or not this put up is written via himm as no oone
    lse know such specifiied about my trouble. You are wonderful!
    Thank you!

28. In it you will find a number of beautiful suites that will leave
    you with a smile on your face as you experience all that can be offered from a quality establishment.

Some places will only be open to people who stay
    at certain resorts though, but these resorts can offer some great features for those who golf there.

The exhilarating setting of Ocean Links makes
    each round of golf a private nature tour.

29. We checked into the Motel Six for the night, a good place to
    stay because the rooms are clean and the rates are reasonable.

Some places will only be open to people who stay at
    who golf there. Golfers do not need to choose between a
    tropical beach vacation and a customized golf tour, thanks to these three
    top courses that are literally on the beach.

30. If you love to play golf and find that your local
    golf club is closed because of snow and cold, it may be time
    to head to Orlando for a fun in the sun golf trip. Some places will only be open to people who
    stay at certain resorts though, but these resorts can offer some
    great features for those who golf there. While you are at it take the time to look into
    the golf carts and the accessories that you will need while on the course.

31. I enjoy you because of each of your effort on this web page.
    Ellie really loves managing investigations and it is easy
    to understand why. Most of us learn all of the dynamic
    method you make worthwhile guidelines through the website and
    in addition strongly encourage response from the others on that subject then our own child
    has always been starting to learn a lot of things.
    Take advantage of the rest of the year. You are conducting a stunning job.

32. Tegan says:

I loved as much as you’ll receive carried out right here.

The sketch is attractive, your authored subject matter stylish.
    nonetheless, you command get got an shakiness over that you wish be delivering the following.
    unwell unquestionably come further formerly again as exactly the same nearly a lot often inside case you shield this hike.

33. github.com says:

We always hear the common misconception that anything made of metal is always better.
    After all, you don’t want to go home with airsoft pistols
    only to find out you’d have been better off with an M-16.
    A lot of of us think having an electrical charge
    through our body is harmful.

34. In this case, the Mikromachine pressure needed 80 times from germination to harvest.

35. Dermatologists treat many types of skin conditions, here are the most common. However, with the advent
    of nonsurgical cosmetic procedures, wrinkle fillers and
    facial reshapers such as Botox have become increasingly popular.
    Dermatology is suitable for the acne patients who have recurrent acne attacks.

36. So lets say you were used to earning $25,000 a year and then all of a sudden you earned $100,
    000 working from home in an online business. The California Lottery has
    scheduled more fun events in the month of August just
    for you. This green card lottery program not only authorizes people who win in the lottery to work and live in the US but also allows the family as well.