Why Arts Education Matters

Probably everyone reading this blog is an ardent advocate of arts education. But why? Is arts education truly necessary?

For my next book, one chapter focuses on the importance of arts education. In researching what others have had to say about this issue, here are some videos I’ve come across. Do you agree with their points? Do you have additional arguments?

This one minute video articulates various rationales for arts education.

Roger H. Brown, President of Berklee College of Music, gives a passionate defense of music education and the importance of encouraging every possible student to participate in a music-related school activity.

Sir Ken Robinson, internationally-renowned expert in the field of creativity and innovation in business and education, discusses why arts education matters.

Here are thoughts by Mike Huckabee, former Republic presidential contender and Arkansas governer.

President Barack Obama shared his thoughts on the importance of music education here.  (Unfortunately, this video cannot be embedded).

Hillary Clinton, former US first lady and current Secreatary of State, on the importance of Dance Education.

This video looks at the Harmony Program out of CUNY in NYC, which provides after-school music education to under-privileged children. The program is modeled off El Sistema, a famed Venezuelan program of the same nature.

Finally, here is an extended panel discussion on the value of arts education produced by Views and Vibes.

What would you like to add?

384 Responses to “Why Arts Education Matters”

1. Ursula says:

I really like reading websites similar to this! Causes
    also and me to experience a comfortable rewarding feeling educated!
    Thanks so much!

2. learn more says:

you’re in point of fact a good webmaster. The site loading
    velocity is amazing. It seems that you are doing any unique trick.

Furthermore, The contents are masterwork. you have done a wonderful activity on this subject!

3. prom shoes says:

After looking over this awesome blog I simply couldn’t keep without saying thank you in the underside
    of my heart!

4. Elane says:

I desired to take the time to express my passion towards this wonderful website and you!
    Caring it!

5. Wow! I am definitely clicked with by this web site and that I could claim nothing less than I
    really like it!

6. Heyy there, You’ve done an excellent job.

I will definitely digg it and personally recommend to my friends.

I’m confident they’ll bee benefited from this web site.

7. I am officially impressed with this blog and that I wished to take some
    time to many thanks in the bottom of my heart!

8. Also look for objects that might be jammed into the window path.

passed muster and it would be a wise as well as prudent choice for a meal for
    the family. (2) Choose “Forwarding”, select “Virtual Servers”.

9. I love reading blogs such as this! Causes me to feel an emotion that is warm
    rewarding and in addition enlightened! Thanks so much!

10. En Siemens nos comprometemos a reparar tu electrodoméstico en 48 h. De lo contrario, te regalamos un año de garantía adicional. Empresa de Madrid, encargada de la reparación, instalación, venta y montaje de electrodomésticos y aire acondicionado así como máquinas de hielo, maquinaria de hostelería, maquinaria de frío industrial. ARISERVICE MAD, S.L. es un servicio técnico especializado en las marcas Ariston, Fleck, Junkers, Vaillant y Chaffoteaux dentro de la Comunidad de Madrid.

11. 9/27/2016 Love savvymusician.com– extremely user-friendly and much to consider!

12. Lockheart says:

The particular youthful males wound up definitely triggered you just read by way of them now possess it goes without saying also been enjoying these products.

13. I recently couldn’t leave without saying thanks in the base of my heart after looking
    over this website that is great!

14. How do I begin website for the sole reason for redirecting people to another internet site?

15. More Info says:

I really like reading blogs like this! Causes also and me
    to feel a hot satisfying experience enlightened! Thank you so
    much!

16. Only beneficial information is provided by this web site and I am checking
    to it-this instant! Many thanks guys!

17. Quite a good read. I just forwarded this on 10/12/2016 to a classmate who’s been doing a little research of their own on the topic. To show her appreciation, he just bought me lunch! So, I should probably say: Cheers for the drink!

18. Lamattina says:

Your personal commitment that will get this concept during came into existence alternatively powerful and have regularly allowed staff members much like me personally to reach from his or her desired goals.

19. How Can I Copyright laws Protect Tales and Articles on My Website?

20. Stgerard says:

Rather useful, looking forth to coming back.

21. It’s not too no problem finding information that is important today,
    but this truly qualifies together. Leaving will definitely comeback soon and
    content!

22. Sin embargo, con anterioridad al 22 de Marzo tanto la delegada del Gobierno en Madrid como el Presidente de esta comunidad autónoma han venido efectuando manifestaciones públicas degradantes e injuriosas respecto de las personas que se movilizarían en a Madrid el día 22M, interfiriendo claramente en el derecho de manifestación recogido en nuestra constitución y en el derecho al honor protegido en el Art.

23. Well-written piece. I just now forwarded this on 10/25/2016 to a fellow student who’s been doing some work of his own on this topic. To say thank you, she just bought me a drink! So, I should probably say: Thanks for the meal!

24. I really like reading sites similar to this! Causes educated and in addition me to experience a rewarding that
    is hot experience! Many thanks so much!

25. Joyce says:

This definitely qualifies as one, although it is not so simple to
    find useful material nowadays. Causing content and will
    surely come back soon!

26. Weebly says:

I wanted to take some time to state my appreciation closer which blog that was awesome!

Caring it!

27. Un efectivo de $ 300 millones por carcachas tipo de programa federal para impulsar las ventas de energía, electrodomésticos eficientes que proporcionan una luz de esperanza a los fabricantes de lavadoras y lavavajillas para seguir en la lucha, pero probablemente no sea suficiente para salvar a las empresas como Whirlpool y Electrolux de los peores altibajos del ciclo en la historia del sector.

28. Of these elements, stock control is arguably the molst fundamental cog in any wholesal or distribution operation. Andd how
    about the first time you were towiing a heavy load up a long grade when your
    diesel suddely went into DPF regeneration and your speed plummeted to the point of being dajgerously
    slow. Quote: “I just saw the line, pinned me ears back and ended up bagging a bit of meat in the corner which was tops.

29. Throughout this great design of things you’ll receive an A with regard to effort and hard work. Exactly where you lost me personally was first on the facts. You know, as the maxim goes, the devil is in the details… And it couldn’t be much more accurate in this article. Having said that, let me say to you precisely what did work. The text is actually very engaging and that is probably why I am making an effort in order to comment. I do not really make it a regular habit of doing that. 2nd, although I can certainly notice the jumps in reason you come up with, I am not really confident of exactly how you appear to unite the details which in turn help to make the final result. For the moment I will, no doubt yield to your position however trust in the future you connect your dots better.

30. I love reading websites like this! Causes me to
    experience a cozy enjoyable experience and also educated!
    Thank you so much!

31. そのアイデアは多くの人に評価してもらったんですけど、いきなり大きく展開することなく、無理のない範囲で続けていくことにしました。スカート侍 http://www.rocketconstruction.net/images/photoalbum/redirect/20141203012256-e382b9e382abe383bce38388e4be8d-htal.html

32. This is a great tip particularly to those fresh to the blogosphere.
    Brief but very accurate information… Appreciate your sharing this one.
    A must read post!

33. Bit.Ly says:

Hi there, after reading this amazing article i am as
    well glad to share my experience here with friends.

34. Creo sinceramente que la calidad de una marca no se mide solo por el buen funcionamiento de sus electrodomésticos sino también por la calidad de asistencia humana cuando te encuentras ante situaciones de tanta impotencia como verte sin nevera ni congelador durante cinco días y la comida poniéndose mala. Ademas , no sirven repuestos a otras empresas , por lo que te ves obligado a llamarles a ellos para que te vengan a casa a atracar. Deja de funcionar y viene el técnico y dice que es porque el enchufe está mal y por eso no conectan bien las dos fases (?). De esto hace 12 días y en el servicio técnico no hay forma de hablar con ellos. Posterior a la reparación de la frigorífico, tendrá una garantía de TRES MESES.