Dumbing Down or Smartening Up?

It’s been an exciting week!  Since my article What Professional Orchestras Should Learn from YouTube was posted, many conversations have erupted, debating the question of whether initiatives embraced by YouTube’s Symphony Orchestra are appropriate and helpful for professional groups.

As is the case when any significant institutional change is proposed, reactions ranged wildly.  Many were enthusiastic about suggestions; others dug in their heels, insisting that alterations to the current paradigm are merely capitulations, disgraceful, or even apocalyptic.  Wherever you stand, engaging in the conversation marks an important step.

One recurring question is whether adopting my suggestions compromises artistic integrity. For example, Evanston Symphony Orchestra conductor Lawrence Eckerling wrote this thoughtful response to the suggestion that a greater variety of shorter works be programmed on some concerts, possibly including individual movements:

While in principle I agree…this is an apparent “dumbing down” of the art. The “greatest hits” mentality is akin to iTunes and tracks vs. albums. Performing just favorites or the most accessible movements is fine to do on an occasional concert, but when done as the regular diet is not doing the art form any service.

To frame my views on the issue of dumbing down, here is an excerpt from a chapter in The Savvy Musician called “Artistry and Relevance”:

It seems that many musicians are squarely positioned on one side or the other when it comes to music and audience. Are there just two extreme, polar-opposite options: interactive user-friendly formats with shallow expressions, or intimidating academic presentations with depth? Whether musicians offer profound statements but fail to connect with their audience, or dumb down their product in order to attract one, they are making sophisticated music less relevant.

A third archetype exists—one that seeks a happy medium between accessibility and integrity. The more foreign, complicated, or out of the comfort zone an experience is for observers, the more essential audience-engaging tactics become. On the other hand, when extra-musical elements and accessible formats are embraced, programmers should not cower at the incorporation of profound adventurous musical offerings. Perhaps this hybrid can engage proponents of both sides, submitting a middle ground that can be embraced by both the musical bourgeoisie and the masses.

In response to Eckerling’s concern…Suggesting that some events embrace the variety show model in no way implies that works chosen should be limited to the most accessible and well-known.

Au contraire.  This model permits programmers the option of incorporating more adventurous programming than typically occurs: lesser known works, obscure composers, new music, even the avant-garde.  When the goal itself is eclecticism, many contemporary audiences are willing—even eager—to explore new terrain. At least for a few minutes.  This structure actually provides a vehicle for smartening up programming.

Whether we like it or not, we live in the iTunes Era.  Many people buy tracks, not albums.  Selling only albums scares off potential fans. Which brings us to someone else’s comment:

I don’t agree that other orchestras should take this approach. YouTube is interesting fluff, but not comparable to a real, live concert experience. As for performing parts of pieces, would you read parts of novels, see parts of plays or movies, eat part of your dinner, and call it a complete experience?

The analogies here are interesting.  Let’s explore:

• Food.  Restaurants specializing in tapas are all the rage.  My favorite, Café Tu Tu Tango, serves only appetizers from around the world.  (Incidentally, they also display/sell work by local artists, with the catch phrase “Food for the Starving Artist.”)
  • Love. Since speed dating was introduced in 1998, hundreds of thousands of singles have participated.
  • Travel. Just about every travel company offers tours featuring a wide variety of experiences and locations in a short amount of time.  These packages are exponentially more popular than those limited to the same city or activity for extended periods.
  • Education. Every university offers survey courses.  Typically, students only enroll in specialty classes after completing the survey.

The assertion that no professional orchestra should consider a variety show format is just as preposterous as one arguing that every event must adopt this approach.  Some audiences today are drawn to deep and consistent encounters; others prefer to spend their valuable time experiencing an assortment; still others are excited by both models.

And let’s not forget, the YTSO did offer a “real, live concert experience.”  It was sold out, and viewed 33 million times worldwide.  How can that possibly be a bad thing?

Another comment:

It is indeed true that we face a short attention span…But the reason why is sad – a simple lack of education. America is growing dumber by the hour and taking the whole world with it.

We could certainly debate this claim.  But for now, let’s assume the statement is true.  What if Americans are, in fact, getting dumber?  Orchestras have a choice. Should they:

1. Spend time and energy bitterly complaining about how dumb the world has become?
  2. Dismiss anyone who isn’t interested in the “smart” work they do, continuing business as usual and appealing only to the elite few who “get it”?
  3. Work pro-actively to find new solutions that engage the larger population, creating innovative, appealing offerings that meet people at their level while smartening them up?

What do you think orchestras should do?  I know my choice.

SUMMARY

In a week where the Syracuse Symphony disbanded, New York City Opera suspended its Fall season, and Detroit Symphony remains on life support, it is apparent that most arts organizations have little choice but to change in significant ways to remain relevant, impactful, and fundable.  Denying this is the surest path towards extinction.  Please don’t wait until it’s too late.

The question, then, is how to best evolve.  I believe that the YouTube Symphony Orchestra provided some possible clues.

When modifications are implemented, however, artists/administrators have a responsibility to ask whether they dumb down or smarten up offerings.  Proposed initiatives themselves could go either way; it will take savvy visionaries to ensure that better engaging audiences doesn’t mean cowering to them.   Consider the potential:smart person

• Building relationships between players and audience.  When trust and personal relationships are strengthened, audience members become more invested, willing to stretch, and experience even the unfamiliar.
  • Varied programming.  Including more works on a given concert provides the opportunity for adventuresome programming, at least for some pieces.
  • Visual elements.  Visual elements that support the music (as opposed to superficial gimmickry with little artistic meaning) provide audiences with an entry point, allowing for more sophisticated music to be showcased.

Maybe, just maybe, the affect of modifying symphony orchestra models will do more than attract new interest.  Perhaps savvy visionaries can find solutions that smarten up our fans and offerings as well.

196 Responses to “Dumbing Down or Smartening Up?”

1. I more or less share your opinion on this topic and look forward to additional posts and comments here at savvymusician.com. Keep up the good work!

2. Elba Schraub says:

Like savvymusician.com– extremely user-friendly and lots to explore!

3. Noton online says:

I have heard you may make money off of advertisers. Could it be really a significant enough amount to make this worth it? Or does the real benefit in blogging come from the publicity you obtain? I’m a bellydancer and I dance at personal parties and events. Just how could I make use of a blog to obtain more business? We’ve heard about those who have products to market using blogs, but I actually don’t have a “product”, just me!.

4. Norene Lord says:

Good, solid content. I just now sent this on 10/12/2016 to a coworker who has been involved in some work of his own on the topic. To say thanks, he just bought me a drink! So, let me express my gratitude by saying: Cheers for the drink!

5. Oleary says:

An individual truly do over visitors’ targets. Many thanks regarding making these types of very helpful, reliable, edifying and likewise neat ideas on this issue to help Kate.

6. Constancio says:

Hello could you thoughts enabling myself recognize which often service provider you’re making use of? I’ve rich your site throughout 3 completely different web browsers in addition to I’ve got to point out your blog lots sooner then almost all. Is it possible to suggest a superb web hosting company for a affordable selling price?

7. Cusworth says:

People recommendations in addition worked well to get the best way to observe that people on the net possess the identical fervor including my own to know large amount far more for this condition.

8. Desruisseaux says:

I am going to make sure to save your site and could keep coming back someday.

9. Presumably the publication doesn’t do deals with each source it reproduces, so how does copyright laws law allow them to re-print editorial content that they don’t very own without paying royalties?.. Also, may this legislation be applied internationally?.

10. 10/25/2016 I’m gratified with the way that savvymusician.com deals with this type of subject matter. Generally on point, often polemic, always well-researched and more often than not quite challenging.

11. I have noticed a great deal of blogs in blogspot. What purpose do they serve? Is it possible to generate income through sites. If yes just how?.

12. Lindsey Roe says:

11/7/2016 I’m gratified with the way that savvymusician.com handles this type of issue! Usually on point, sometimes polemic, consistently well-written and more often than not quite thought-provoking.

13. jandcti says:

昨日、届いたので早速打ってきましたが、21°と同様、打ちやすいです。 スコアはまずまずですが、ショット自体は、正直、「う~ん」という感じでしょうか。 office2016 ソフト
    B. Windows のスマートスクリーンを有効にして、゗ンターネットオプションから認識されていないゕプリを実行する前に管理者の承認を取得することを選択します。 例えばかつては皆がタイプライターを使っていました。
    windows 10 の インストール これには、サービスの説明、構成オプション、組織のビジネス要件をサポートするための既存の ID 管理および内部設置型インフラストラクチャとのサービスの統合に関する経験が含まれます。  BIOSメニュー→詳細→USB設定→レガシーUSB設定を「使用しない」に切り替え。
    windows 7 アップデート
     写真⑤、ちなみに「やられた」と思われるWin7のキャラクターはコチラ。 エリザベス・ベントリーとウィテカー・チェンバースが、FBIにソ連のアメリカにおける諜報活動を通報。 office personal 2010 ダウンロード 版
    アプローチも3本使って色々遣って見たが、此ればかりはコースで実践してみないと、距離感の感覚が判らない?落とす位置は狙った所に成って来たが、ランが練習場では良く判らない気がする。 新しく買ったソフトもだめで、だめかなあ?とりあえず、データは見れないけど、インターネットはつながるので、いろいろ検索。
    office personal 2010 ダウンロード 版 この分でいくと、将来は、ガソリンスタンドが消滅する可能性もある。 還有,也請傳達給如果是能參加這個聊天的反日中國人的誰2016年6月25日被進行的「東亞海洋資源興國時候局勢研習會」有關人員各位的大家。
    windows8 1 ダウンロード

14. Unogelkl says:

今日は60代の人が上手そうでアベレージ90台?他は30代、40代の人で何れも90台のアベレージの人達で、安心して回れる。 初心者向きの本には、必ずと言っていいほど、画面コピーがとともに、説明が入っています。 激安ゴルフ用品
    スパイク周辺に枯芝や枯葉が絡んで詰まるってこともなく、手入れも楽になりました。 すべてのドメ゗ンコントローラは Windows Server2012 R2 を実行します。
    セレクト ニューポート2  契約金額はいずれも1戸約2700万円で35年ローンだったが、相場より1千万円ほど割高だったという。 修正方法がわからず、今回はこのまま印刷をお願いしました。
    714 AP2
    コアは硬めで、ドライバーやユーティリティではコアが硬めなのもあって打感が硬めに感じますが、アイアンやアプローチではドライバーほど硬さを感じることがありません。 990で中弾道、高回転、打った後は、ボールの行方と着地を見る前に、安心感が残る。 xxio7
    富士山が見えます、、 透き通ってます、、右は江ノ島です、、、平塚まで見えますよ~~~朝ごはん 10時です、、、 最後のボーモアだ~~~~~~~~~~^^  美味い、、 ちょっぴりピーテーだ。 つまり、原子炉や蒸気タービンを置き換えるものではなく、従来の原子力潜水艦に搭載されていた減速機を置き換えるものである。
    golfoffjp.com  まあ、#65315;PU]も交換し、メモリーも4Gずつ差してそれぞれちゃんと動くようになりましたが、液晶とかマウスとかを接続していて気付いたのだが、裏面の端子が一世代前の古い規格のものが付いている。  ないとぅさんがいるから入らんのかもなぁMr.長嶋茂雄元別荘ホールえへへへへへへ〜絵理香ちゃんSECOMしてますか〜?(^ ^)16h 421 左DR打ち下ろし。
    2.0アイアン

15. home says:

buuonbnvhmdjpnulkjnbrokeymmkbwjymuktlqmvqizfoeuskvpaxwkosk

16. Nalls says:

I must encourage that you go on ones excellent blogposts, have a great weekend break!

17. HerbalZone says:

Have you ever thought about adding a little bit more than just your articles? I mean, what you say is important and all. Nevertheless think about if you added some great pictures or video clips to give your posts more, “pop”! Your content is excellent but with pics and video clips, this blog could definitely be one of the greatest in its field. Very good blog!

18. wish to start blog page how and where go about it?

19. Since the MSM is totally skewed, what blogs/websites have you discovered that give you information the fact that MSM ignores?.

20. They will get training and information about how energy compliance might be followed.
    The ABBE has provided the trainings for company accreditation this also can be a standardised qualifications.
    Once at the home the DEA have to have access to all rooms, including attics or lofts, to be able to take measurements and photos of
    both the boiler system along with rooms.

21. I understand many wikipedia articles includes copyright infringement or license violation. how can i do this..

22. Lavonna says:

It’s really a great and helpful piece of info. I’m glad that you shared this helpful information with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

23. Jack Brown says:

Thanks For sharing

24. I want to start a site for my Roller derby team, almost all we have can be a facebook or myspace right now. How do i start a website that has a dot com, or html, etc, that I may design by myself, and keep on my own to ensure that we can have a internet site for fans to go to???? Thanks any help valued..

25. You’re certainly right, I would really like to know more on this particular topic! I am as well interested in framaroot 1.9 3 because I believe it truly is very trendy in these days. Thanks!

26. Nice post. I learn something more challenging on different blogs everyday. It will always be stimulating to read content from other writers and practice a little something from their store. I?d prefer to use some with the content on my blog whether you don?t mind. Natually I?ll give you a link on your web blog. Thanks for sharing.

27. A visit over the Hatta Mountain gives you a chance to investigate two centuries old Hatta Village and in addition the Hajar Mountains. From its sixteenth Century Fort to lavish scenes, Hatta Mountain Tour is something you ought to anticipate amid your stay in Dubai

28. Nicholas says:

that is the end of this article on . Here you’ll find some sites that we think you’ll appreciate, just click the links over…

29. dhow cruise says:

Desert Safari in Dubai is the most iconic activity that has to be experienced, follow this varied list of exciting desert safaris each more unique than the

30. best safari says:

Unique Abu Dhabi desert safari pacakges with prices (Evening, Morning, Overnight). Do booking through best online desert safari website in Abu Dhabi

31. mobdro apk says:

I was discussing with a good friend of mine on this info and also about mobdro for pc as well. I do believe you made a number of great points in this article, we’re also looking forward to find out more material from you.

32. safari deals says:

Cant handle the dune bashing, come directly to the camp for dinne

33. Experience a desert safari adventure that you will never forget! Book a desert safari tour @ AED 30 with us and take your family and friends to a great outdoor adventure in Dubai!

34. Sort in your name, e-mail handle, or telephone
    quantity.

35. Thankfulness to my father who shared with me about this blog, this
    webpage is really awesome.

36. This kind of content is great – it’s what keeps the internet fluid and interesting

37. Hi, its good post on the topic of media print, we all be familiar with media is a wonderful source
    of data.

38. There are certainly a lot of stuff to take into consideration. If your articles are always this helpful, I will be back.

39. I wants to be a master in this issue. You should be really proud of yourself. Thx again.

40. CEO adviser says:

I love your article but… I am dyslexic. Do you have Youtube videos on the topic? There are certainly a lot of information to take into consideration. Thank you.

41. Jesse Grillo says:

My dad would like to be a teacher in this topic someday. This really answered my problem. I used to be really into this subject in school. Aw, I miss Hawaii. I am shocked at how fast your post loaded on my cell phone.

42. Tosha says:

Howdy outstanding blog! Does running a blog similar to this take a
    lot of work? I’ve no understanding of programming but I was hoping to start
    my own blog in the near future. Anyway, should you have any recommendations
    or tips for new blog owners please share. I know this is off subject however I simply had
    to ask. Thanks a lot!

43. I visit daily some websites and websites to read posts,
    except this webpage provides feature based articles.

44. A awesome article. Your points are well formed. I could not stop from commenting.

45. m88club says:

First of all I want to say wonderful blog! I had a quick question which I’d like to ask if you do not mind.
    I was curious to find out how you center yourself and clear your head
    prior to writing. I’ve had trouble clearing my thoughts in getting my thoughts out there.
    I truly do take pleasure in writing but it just seems
    like the first 10 to 15 minutes are lost simply just trying to figure out how to begin. Any ideas or hints?
    Thank you!