Artists are Indispensable! But Are You Truly an Artist?

When reading Seth Godin’s latest book Linchpin: Are You Indispensable?, I was delighted to learn that “Our economy now rewards artists far more than any other economy in history ever has.”

Wow!!!  As someone who has devoted much life energy to helping artists maximize professional and personal success, this assertion definitely caught my attention.

Of course, the word artist has many meanings.  In some cases, it refers just to visual artists: painters, sculptors, printmakers, etc.  Taking a few steps back, it can also describe anyone involved in “the arts”— those who produce music, dance, theatre, or visual art.  Some expand that definition even further, including the “culinary arts,” the “fashion arts,” the “hair arts,” and so on.

But what does this sacred term—describing an indispensible class of human beings—mean to Godin?  He explains it in a section entitled “Artists Who Can’t Draw”.

“What makes someone an artist?  I don’t think it has anything to do with a paintbrush.  There are painters who follow the numbers, or paint billboards, or work in a small village in China, painting reproductions.  These folks, while swell people, aren’t artists.  On the other hand, Charlie Chaplin was an artist, beyond a doubt.  So is Jonathan Ive, who designed the iPod.  You can be an artist who works with oil paints or marble, sure.  But there are artists who work with numbers, business models, and customer conversations.  Art is about intent and communication, not substances.”

According to Godin, it doesn’t matter if you’re a musician, salesperson, or postal employee.  Artistry is possible regardless of career path.

And what is it that qualifies something as indispensable art?   Throughout the book, he  provides many clues:

• Art is a personal gift that changes the recipient
  • Art is anything that’s creative, passionate, and personal
  • Great art resonates with the viewer, not only with the creator
  • Art is a personal act of courage, something one human does that creates change in another
  • If there is no change, there is no art
  • Art is not related to craft, except to the extent that the craft helps deliver the change
  • Art is unique, new, and challenging to the status quo
  • The safest job belongs to the artist, the linchpin, the one who can’t be easily outsourced or replaced

Ah….now I see.

Pursuing a career in the arts doesn’t inherently make you an Artist.  Being a piano player doesn’t elevate you to the level of an Artist any more than an MBA is automatically crowned an Entrepreneur.   The first terms are about what you do.  The second ones describe how you do it and the impact it makes.

My dear violinists, modern dancers, Shakespearian actresses, and painters—you may have the title of being an artist.  But are you truly creating Art?  If so, there’s a lot of good news.  Society needs you.  What you do is valuable.  Indispensible, in fact.

If not?  Well, lots of luck…

353 Responses to “Artists are Indispensable! But Are You Truly an Artist?”

1. What one ‘need’ and one ‘want’ will you strive to achieve in the next twelve months?

2. I’m still learning from you, but I’m trying to achieve my goals. I definitely enjoy reading everything that is posted on your website.Keep the aarticles coming. I liked it!

3. This design is steller! You certainly know how to keep a reader entertained.
    Between your wit and your videos, I was almosst moved to start myy own blokg (well, almost…HaHa!) Fantastic
    job. I rerally loved what yoou had to say, and more thaan that, how you presented it.
    Too cool!

4. How can I have got updates of new blog posts from my blog being immediately posted on my Tweets?

5. Truly informative. Hopefully you can discuss more on the Smart house design and advancements using the recent available equiptments

6. スコア不足の人は、高反発ゴルフドライバーです。高反発ゴルフドライバーは、反発力が強く、普通のドライバーよりボールが飛びやすいです。

7. Thanks for finally writing about > Artists are Indispensable!
    But Are You Truly an Artist? | the savvy musican blog |
    The Savvy Musician Blog < Liked it!

8. Ann Dirksen says:

Well I sincerely liked reading it. This post provided by you is very constructive for proper planning.

9. What’s up, after reading this amazing post i am too happy to share my
    knowledge here with colleagues.

10. How can I build a demo for any template in Joomla?

11. Let me always search for your website and may come back someday.

12. If you desire to improve your familiarity just keep visiting this site and be updated with the newest news update posted here.

13. I are changing hosting companies and would like to move my WordPress Blogs over. Does anyone know of an easy way to accomplish this?.

14. This could cost someone to service it nonetheless it could help you save far more
    cash on fuel. It has four default music tracks that players can pay attention to while cruising and quizzing.
    Building this style of a rapport is vital to have
    comfortable using the person so that you are able to study from them.

15. stafaband says:

I’m new to running a blog and We are using Tumblr. I want to make sure nobody obtains my content or background pictures and pictures. If anyone has any suggestions I would really be thankful. Thanks!.

16. I’m gratified with the way that savvymusician.com handles this kind of subject matter! Usually on point, often controversial, without fail well-researched and stimulating.

17. 9/19/2016 Appreciate savvymusician.com– very easy to navigate and tons of stuff to think about!

18. I’m pleased with the way that savvymusician.com covers this sort of issue! Usually on point, sometimes contentious, consistently well-written as well as thought-provoking.

19. savvymusician.com does it again! Quite a perceptive site and a thought-provoking post. Keep up the good work!

20. Sein says:

Seriously, such a useful online site.

21. I would really like to make a blog but.. I’m just not sure what type of blogs get the most traffic? What type of websites do you surf? We mostly surf photo sites and fashion blogs. Just getting a poll here thanks a lot!.

22. Brittany says:

Inside the foothills of Montserrat, the sculpture was invisible in 718 in the Infidels, Saracens, after which was shed.

23. I’m gratified with the way that savvymusician.com handles this type of topic! Usually on point, often polemic, without fail well-researched and also thought-provoking.

24. Harriett says:

In conclusion, the monogrammed quilted bags are always lightweight and highly durable.
    Sling bags (Shoulder bags) are a type of handbag worn over
    one shoulder with a strap. Duffel bags are
    often used by sailors, and are sometimes called sea bags
    in this capacity.

25. Brush says:

Your youthful males ended up definitely aroused to learn to read through these and after this include without doubt recently been having fun with these items.

26. Uxa says:

My spouse and i came above in this article different web page in addition to idea When i might as well check factors away.

27. How do I import Firefox bookmarks and other settings from one user account to another?

28. How do I use wordpress and comicpress to create a website and publish my comic strips?

29. 10/22/2016 In my estimation, savvymusician.com does a excellent job of handling subjects of this sort! While ofttimes deliberately controversial, the posts are more often than not well-written and thought-provoking.

30. I’m gratified with the way that savvymusician.com covers this kind of topic. Usually to the point, often controversial, without fail well-researched and more often than not quite challenging.

31. 10/25/2016 savvymusician.com does it yet again! Quite a thoughtful site and a thought-provoking post. Nice work!

32. I do agree with all the ideas you have offered on your post. They’re really convincing and can definitely work. Nonetheless, the posts are very quick for novices. May just you please lengthen them a bit from next time? Thank you for the post.|

33. Excellent way of explaining, and good piece of writing to get data concerning my presentation subject matter, which i am going to convey in institution of higher education.|

34. 11/7/2016 @ 11:40:40 In my estimation, savvymusician.com does a good job of handling issues of this sort. Even if frequently deliberately contentious, the material posted is more often than not thoughtful and stimulating.

35. 11/9/2016 In my view, savvymusician.com does a good job of handling topics of this sort. While often intentionally contentious, the material posted is in the main well researched and challenging.

36. Fredric says:

STI offers a large range of web marketing remedies that consists of search engine optimization, web designing, google adwords campaign, graphic creating solutions as well as a large variety of seo services.

my blog post search engine optimisation services brisbane,
    Fredric,

37. I would like to write and I question how to start a blog for people on this bing community..

38. I want to start to put my photos on my camera, and start a blog or something. Where is a good spot to do this like a website or something, do i have to copyright them thanks a lot: ).

39. PLEASE give me my cash and sorry for purchasing a SAMSUNG TELEVISION
    I’ll by no means repeat this.

40. Excellent new roofing experience ! Many thanks to everyone over at The Roof Kings! Check them out here!

41. There is a lot of factors at work right here, and apparently,
    a whole lot of it may also need to do with the growth in passive investing and the bear market in active investing.

42. Hey. I was just wondering why its such a big matter these days to possess a ridiculous quantity of ram memory in a computer? People tell me that the more Ram you have within your computer the faster your computer will become. I always thought that all it was the processor that controls the velocity of a pc and not the Ram… I put 512MB of Ram in my laptop and I have now changed it to 2Gigs of Ram memory and We’ve seen no difference in performance what so ever.. Could someone please show me what does Ram will exactly?. Thanks in advance.

43. I need to import about 50 of 458 posts from a blogspot blog into wordpress. If I use the plug in import tool, I am concerned that it will duplicate the posts that were already imported in a previous batch. Also the prior posts have been re-categorized. I need to hold those as well. Any tips will help! Thank you..

44. Do you have a blog? I have a poetry blog. =) If so, what’s your link so I can check it out and follow you. =). I already have one started. =).

45. hi!,I really like your writing so so much! percentage we be in contact more approximately
    your post on AOL? I need an expert on this house to resolve my problem.

Maybe that is you! Having a look ahead to see you.

46. Thanks for all of the hard work on this web page. Debby loves setting aside time for investigations and it’s really obvious why. Most people hear all regarding the lively medium you create practical information through your blog and even boost participation from some others on this subject matter so my daughter is studying a lot of things. Have fun with the rest of the new year. You have been performing a fantastic job.

47. bug bed says:

When trying to publish a book wouldn’t you protect your story or content with a copyright?

48. I have a website I will be updating a few times a week with original animations and short films along with concept art for the animations and other kinds of media. How can I copyright everything on my site so that the copyright info I have on the bottom of every page “All original content (C) 2008 (My Name)” actually means something? Will my logo, site name, all content be copyrighted?.

49. Danny says:

The usual truth, a user needs a digital advertising
    and marketing method to have a productive on-line
    visibility and to develop a collaborative partnership with the clients, business partners and
    knowledge areas.

Feel free to visit my site: search engine marketing brisbane
    - Danny -

50. You really make it seem really easy along with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which I feel I would never understand. It sort of feels too complex and extremely broad for me. I am looking ahead on your subsequent publish, I’ll try to get the dangle of it!|