Why YOU Need a Powerhouse Topic

As a musician, you certainly already have one or two specialties: playing the violin, bebop improvisation, recording chamber ensembles.  But no matter how skilled you are in these types of areas, you are likely just a small fish in a large ocean competing to be noticed. For those desiring more work and opportunity, imagine how your career might be transformed if you had a powerhouse topic.

A powerhouse topic is a subject on which you become known as a local, national, or international expert.  This is accomplished through blogging, writing books, offering presentations, releasing videos, consulting, becoming a media expert, or other activities that clearly establish you as an authority.

The number of ways in which a powerhouse topic can transform your life is astonishing:

• Your expertise can lead directly to numerous professional opportunities: presentations, workshops, residencies, key note speeches, classes, media coverage, books, consulting work.
  • Those opportunities can add, perhaps significantly, to your income.
  • Your presentations around the powerhouse topic often lead—directly or indirectly—to additional work in your primary area(s).  For example, perhaps someone who sees your talk is so impressed by the way you interact with the audience that they book your group for a concert.
  • As an established authority, your network will increase appreciably, often with people trying to connect to you (instead of the other way around).
  • Being an expert in a particular area impacts the way you approach your art.
  • Having a powerhouse topic will keep you motivated and growing as a lifelong learner.

Not all subjects have the potential to reach powerhouse proportions.  A topic will only help you significantly if the following conditions are met:

1. Passion.  You will spend a lot of time close to this topic, so be sure you’re passionate about it.
  2. Relevance.  People should be interested in your topic.  Become the leading scholar on the Breviarium de Musica by Frutolfus of Michelsberg (12th Century) might be fascinating, but probably won’t get you far.  As sad as it may be, not many people care.
  3. Problem solving.  The best topics help solve real problems.  That’s why people will be interested in your message.
  4. Not overcrowded.  If there are already mountains of experts on the topic, look elsewhere.  Standing out will be tough.  The secret is discovering a field that people truly care about (or could be compelled to care about), but there is a dearth of specialists.
  5. Niche. Your message should be directed specifically towards a kind of audience: trombonists, private teachers, arts administrators, college students.  To quote a friend who is a serial entrepreneur, “find the biggest, littlest niche possible.”
  6. Unique.  Your take on the issue should be somehow different and thought provoking.  Develop your own personal theories.
  7. Communication. Only messages that are communicated clearly, accessibly, and in a way that connects with others will prove helpful.

Keeping these points in mind, brainstorm possible subjects that could work for you.  The best ones are specific but broad, with the possibility of digging deep.  Here are some general categories of powerhouse topics possible for musicians:

• Physical wellness (injury prevention, yoga for musicians, lifelong performance)
  • The psychology of performance (conquering stage fright, finding spirituality through music, overcoming creative blocks)
  • Musical techniques (the art and craft of accompanying, fiddling for non-fiddlers, sightreading tricks, how to practice)
  • Music literature (Beethoven string quartets, jazz traditions for dummies, why old operas matter today)
  • Producing concerts (multi-media events, staging for musicians, crafting cohesive events, engaging new audiences)
  • Teacher training (arts integration, group lessons, teaching improvisation to non-improvisers)
  • Music careers (entrepreneurship, social media for musicians, personal finance for musicians)
  • Life skills (time management, setting goals, becoming a musician-leader)

Most musicians don’t even consider the possibility of a powerhouse topic.  But imagine the potential.  It may just be the key to the next door of your career.

So what’s your topic?

279 Responses to “Why YOU Need a Powerhouse Topic”

1. This site certainly has all the info I needed
    about this subject and didn’t know who to ask.

2. имоти says:

An impressive share, I just given this onto a colleague who was doing a little analysis on this. And he in fact bought me breakfast because I found it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the treat! But yeah Thnkx for spending the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love reading more on this topic. If possible, as you become expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more details? It is highly helpful for me. Big thumb up for this blog post!

3. También conocen nuestra forma de trabajar y nuestras metas que son la de satisfacer a las personas que contratan nuestro servicio tecnico. Además de esto, tenemos acceso un gran almacén de repuestos siendo nuestra compra al mayor, donde la gran cantidad de ejemplares provoca un marcado abaratamiento en la reparación de sus electrodomésticos, influyendo esto positivamente en su factura. Trabajamos con la máxima instrucción y celeridad con unas tarifas incomparables para dejar su Cocinas Teka como nueva.

4. Hello, you used to write great, but the last few posts have been kinda boring… I miss your super writings. Past several posts are just a little out of track! come on!

5. The Zune concentrates on being a Portable Media Player. Not a web browser. Not a game machine. Maybe in the future it’ll do even better in those areas, but for now it’s a fantastic way to organize and listen to your music and videos, and is without peer in that regard. The iPod’s strengths are its web browsing and apps. If those sound more compelling, perhaps it is your best choice.

6. Hands down, Apple’s app store wins by a mile. It’s a huge selection of all sorts of apps vs a rather sad selection of a handful for Zune. Microsoft has plans, especially in the realm of games, but I’m not sure I’d want to bet on the future if this aspect is important to you. The iPod is a much better choice in that case.

7. Nick Sannes says:

Using Firefox: How do you clean out old stored security informaion like accounts numbers and such?

8. I like what you guys are up also. Such clever work and reporting! Keep up the excellent works guys I have incorporated you guys to my blogroll. I think it will improve the value of my site

9. Sang Billig says:

I stayed in Manila and would like to find a Smart Home Builders to do our home architectural plans. An instructional blog about this subject would be very helpful.

10. iklan baris says:

What are the best colleges to go to for a Creative Composing degree?

11. onetekno says:

We cut a movie into 10 minute parts and published to youtube, i only had uploaded two parts by the time i acquired a copyright notice. How can i upload movies without it getting erased?.

12. A debt of gratitude is in order for this post, i have discovered this to an extraordinary degree pleasing. i might want to take in extra info concerning this.

13. Flash has already been installed on my work pc, however opera is not really communicating with it for some unusual reason. I am unable to reinstall adobe flash because like i stated this is my works pc, therefore i need admin rights to install display. So how may i make Opera work with the flash thats already been installed by admin?.. thanks!.

14. Well I began my blog in the beginning of March, I have 21 different entries currently. How shortly do you think the web crawler will pickup my blog and index this into the search engines?.

15. eventzim says:

this was very informative topic that says all…

16. You have an awesome weblog here! would you like to create some invite posts on my blog?

17. Awesome roof repairing experience ! Thanks to every person over at The Roof Kings! Check them out right here!

18. I should add that I’m not really that specialized, so an answer that is simple to use would be more appropriate of the two… The website will work in a similar way to gumtree’s classified ads. If this is possible would I actually also be in a position to add a charging mechanism pertaining to the ads using Joomla or Wordpress… Any help would be much appreciated… Many thanks..

19. Appreciate savvymusician.com– very easy to navigate and lots to think about!

20. Every single code I try possibly leaves a massive gap towards the top of the page, or at the end of the page. Its definitely that code causing this.. I’ve attempted so many rules trying to hide the blogs & extended network, however they all leave a white gap either at the top or at the bottom.. Anyone got one that doesnt trigger the white gap? Or how to take away the white space?.

21. Blender says:

Will you brain easily quote a couple of your threads provided that We produce credit ratings and sources returning to your site? My own blog is within the same specific niche market seeing that your own property as well as my personal users would likely actually take advantage of a few of the details people offer here. Please i want to realize in the event that this all right to you. Many thanks!

22. How can I copy-paste from Google Docs to Wordpress and retain the boldfaced texts?

23. When I initially left a comment I appear to have clicked on the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get four emails with the same comment. There has to be an easy method you can remove me from that service? Kudos!

24. I just want one of my content to show upon my blogger homepage, but it keeps showing the latest one, and I do not want to see that post. What am i able to do?.

25. Deltora says:

I prefer exactly what We observe consequently today i’m next a person. Anticipate checking out your own site repeatedly.

26. Any kind of ideas of what I may write about? What would you want to consider reading? And exactly how can I get people to see it?.

27. car diagram says:

I want to begin a website. It will probably be asking for cash only to fund the workshops associated with keeping meetings pertaining to the clients and for mailouts. How should I start setting that up?.

28. All information is worthwhile…..

29. I just set up WordPress. I post a few posts but they all proceed to home page. How can I allow posts proceed to different page, for example , I use ‘articles’ tabs and ”events’ tab. I want articles postings go to articles section and I would like events postings go to events section..