Audience Engagement Strategy – New Music, New Presentation!!!

Conventional wisdom argues that audiences only like the familiar.  They’re only interested in concert experiences where they can hear the music they already know and love.  This mindset is certainly embraced by most booking agents, presenters, and orchestra programmers.

My experience indicates otherwise.  People seem to love the new.  They can’t wait to get their hands on the newest gadget, try the latest restaurant, or check out a film on opening weekend that “is so unexpected it will blow your mind away.”  Most love the roller coaster ride.

As long as they make a connection and know they’ll be OK.

I direct a group at Duquesne University called The Accidental Collective. My article Re-Imagining the University Ensemble Experience explored the entrepreneurial structure of this ensemble.  But our artistic mission is just as important.  We strive to create shows that will attract large audiences (resulting from a combination strong marketing and compelling productions), and bring them enthusiastically to their feet, all through the lens of contemporary and unfamiliar music.

One of our strategies is presenting a wide variety of musical genres, languages, and aesthetics.  This way, everyone finds something familiar alongside new elements.  With an understanding that we live in a visual society, we also aim to make beautiful theater: costuming, lighting, staging, transitions between piece, multi-media elements, positioning, etc.  Additionally, we prioritize making every programmed piece completely our own in some way, distinguishing it from any version that other groups have played.  (So there, conventional wisdom…)

Below is a video sampler of The Accidental Collective from last year, providing a glimpse into our explorations.  This season, our new line-up is already pushing the envelope even further.  Please enjoy!

172 Responses to “Audience Engagement Strategy – New Music, New Presentation!!!”

1. I want to begin a blog but would like to own the domain. Any ideas tips on how to go about this?.

2. How you can test if a computer is connected to the network correctly?

3. Apps Apk says:

Have you ever considered about adding a little bit more than just your articles? I mean, what you say is important and everything. But think about if you added some great graphics or video clips to give your posts more, “pop”! Your content is excellent but with pics and video clips, this blog could undeniably be one of the most beneficial in its niche. Awesome blog!

4. Sade Reyers says:

Somos un servicio técnico autorizado por la Comunidad de Madrid para reparar e instalar aparatos de aire acondicionado, electrodomésticos, calderas, calentadores y termos eléctricos. Ponemos a disposición de nuestros clientes un presupuesto gratuito, sin compromiso y totalmente ajustable al bolsillo de cada cliente, porque no todos son iguales, por lo que ello supone una tarea difícil que es la de complacer a todos aquellos que confíen en nuestro servicio técnico.

5. How exactly does one copyright an article or story and what is the cost?

6. stafaband says:

I just bought a new computer and would like the same settings I use on my other computer. How do I go about doing this? The one thing I want to alter in opera on my new pc is when I type a website in the address bar I would really like it to show my history instead of my bookmarks. I changed it before but I cannot remember what I did..

7. In my view, does a good job of covering subject matter like this! While ofttimes deliberately controversial, the material posted is in the main thoughtful and thought-provoking.

8. 9/19/2016 @ 18:10:29 In my opinion, does a excellent job of covering subject matter of this type! While frequently intentionally controversial, the posts are in the main thoughtful and thought-provoking.

9. Rona Plough says:

9/19/2016 In my estimation, does a excellent job of covering topics like this! Even if ofttimes intentionally controversial, the information is more often than not thoughtful and challenging.

10. I’m pleased by the manner in which handles this sort of topic. Usually to the point, sometimes polemic, consistently thoughtful and stimulating.

11. very nice publish, i definitely love this website, keep on it

12. How can I discover cheap, dependable wordpress web-site designers that I can out resource my webdesign work to?

13. Fiforlif says:

How can I get the computer in one room to send stuff towards the printer on my pc in one more room. Internet?

14. jual baja wf says:

I am just interested in making my own music blog and I’m continuously looking through many music blogs during the day finding songs first before others that I know. But how exactly do those blogs find that music first? Can I actually start by just posting the background music I discover on other blogs?.

15. belajar blog says:

How can i easily integrate my wordpress blog on my Joomla site?

16. Jamee Ajello says:

Kudos for the great blog you’ve created at Your enthusiastic take on the subject is certainly contagious. Thanks again!

17. Mcday says:

You’ve probably the greatest online sites.

18. I wish to copyright the content on my blog (content and images)?? can anyone make sure you guide about how can i move abt it?.

19. Treena Metty says:

10/17/2016 I’m pleased with the way that deals with this sort of subject. Usually on point, sometimes controversial, consistently thoughtful and also challenging.

20. Les Trexler says:

In my view, does a great job of handling topics like this! Even if frequently intentionally controversial, the material posted is in the main thoughtful and stimulating.

21. I’m interested in starting a blog, and am curious as to just how much revenue may come out of blogging..