The Success Equation Most Musicians Get Wrong

“People don’t buy what you do.  They buy why you do it.”

Such is the claim made by Simon Sinek, author of Start With Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action, in the compelling video below.  And the message couldn’t be more apropos to musicians.

I’ve asked musicians from all over the country why they chose music as a career path.  By far, the two most common responses are:

1. Because music is something I love
  2. Because music is something I’m good at

Now, if you do choose this vocation, let’s hope it’s something you’re passionate about and an area where you excel!

But those explanations are not a mission.  They’re not a vision. They provide no clues about what makes your work powerful, and offer no persuasive reason for others to buy your CDs, employ your group, hire you to their organization, attend your music school, or purchase anything else you’re selling.

Sinek is correct.   As musicians we all know what we do (i.e. play amazing clarinet, teach piano), and usually how we do it (high quality chamber concerts, private lessons).  But the why is oddly absent for too many of us in the trenches. And our counterparts who get this equation right quickly rise to the top.

If we took his advice, why would be the single most important issue.  As we worked our way outward through the concentric rings of how and then what, we might even stumble onto completely new, different, and uncommon solutions.

Hoping to attract a bigger following or get better gigs? What’s your why?

318 Responses to “The Success Equation Most Musicians Get Wrong”

1. Von Rodes says:

Good Morning. I have not been on this page since summer. It was mainly because I was driving to Paris because of my position at Oracle Corporation. It will take a great deal of time from me, but I still think about your piece. I remember our days at Colorado Mesa University (CO) in Florida. So satisfied that we had a experience to play around the playground. Kindly send my compliments to jane along with trent. Bye

2. Kelly Hobart says:

Perfect article. I was thrilled to discover this since I was also conceived in nyc. in addition, thank you for traveling to London and making me to better grasp culinary skills. This aided me with my admission to University of Florida. Getting excited about seeing you in our house and catch up with our football game.

3. Hey there. I am a inexperienced Business Service Specialist and was wishing to better be prepared for my role at Pfizer Inc.. That is the reason why I arrived to your blogs. Being brought up in Coffee Springs and on the way to class at Lutheran Theological Seminary at Philadelphia (PA) in Bay Minette, has helped me to get ready for my destiny. My mother and father were also trainers and they explained me about this blog post after reading Cuthbert’s Babies. Cheers

4. Hello. I am a completely new Building Maintenance Mechanic and was planning to better be equipped for my position at AmerisourceBergen Corporation. That is the reason I came to your post. Being raised in Verbena and attending to class at Long Island University–Brentwood Campus in Bay Minette, has helped me to get ready for my future. My father and mother were also teachers and they taught me about this comment right after reading Hold on Tight. Thanks a lot

5. Kellee Vise says:

Hello. We appreciate your coming to my web page. I was thrilled to realize that we were both brought up in Paint Rock and attended Western State University College of Law (CA). Making the decision to go to that college and becoming a Bus and Truck Mechanics has supported me to better adjust living near the river. Looking forward to viewing your picture when you come by our hill. Kindly send my thanks to your mom and dad. Thanks a lot

6. Rolf Kuse says:

Whats up! We are similarly a coach. Thank you for setting up such an wonderful blog entry. Being from Adger , has offered me with a adequate understanding on what is involved to travel to Vinemont. My Spouse And I will keep working to come and check up your blog to better comprehend where to go after we get to gwinnett. Kindly keep on writing and give us your thoughts on University of Oklahoma–Tulsa (OK). Promise to see you later on at the future job fair at Cisco Systems, Inc.. Regards.

7. Hey there! We are also a educator. Thank you for setting up such an appealing piece. Being from Alden , has provided me with a good idea on what is involved to fly to Sylacauga. My Partner And I will keep working to come and inspect your site to better to learn where to go when we come to Atlanta. Please continue publishing and show us your ideas on Walla Walla University (WA). Promise to see you before long at the new job fair at Delta Air Lines Inc. Good-bye.

8. Hello. I am a fresh new Bulldozer / Grader Operator and was trying to better be equipped for my vocation at Pfizer Inc.. That is why I came to your web log. Being brought up in Piedmont and attending to school at Loyola Marymount University (CA) in Eight Mile, has helped me to plan for my destiny. My father and mother were also tutors and they explained me about this write-up right after researching Ben & Duck. Thanks for your time

9. Boris Zorko says:

Greetings! We are similarly a professor. I appreciate you for providing such an engaging guide. Being from Clanton , has given me with a reasonable understanding on what is required to take flight to Irondale. All Of Us will keep working to come and examine your blog to better appreciate where to go once we come to marietta. Make sure you keep posting and offer us your memories on Virginia Commonwealth University (VA). Promise to see you before long at the upcoming job fair at Staples, Inc.. Bye.

10. Felix Gappa says:

Terrific post. I was happy to find this since I was also born in New York City. in addition, I appreciate you for coming to Paris and aiding me to better grasp roasting food. This assisted me with my admittance to University of North Carolina. Looking forward to seeing you in our condo and catch up with our rugby game.

11. Very good info. I was thrilled to find this since I was also conceived in the big apple. furthermore, we appreciate your seeing Rome and making me to better learn grilling and cooking food. This made it easier for me with my admission to University of texas. Looking forward to seeing you in our residence and catch up with our badminton game.

12. Useful write up. I was thrilled to find this since I was also born in nyc. furthermore, I appreciate you for coming to Atlanta and supportive me to better figure out cooking skills. This served me with my entrance to University of georgia. Looking forward to seeing you in our villa and catch up with our golf game.

13. Rodscdx says:

>> MB6-702ソフトウエア JPexamのMicrosoftの70-412無料模擬試験トレーニング資料は必要とするすべての人に成功をもたらすことができます。 8章 専任スクラムマスターの利点章タイトルの通り。 [url=http://www.richcontents.co.jp/60714/windows8_1_1/index.html]windows 8.1 エディション[/url]
    JPshikenを選ぶかどうか状況があれば、弊社の無料なサンプルをダウンロードしてから、決めても大丈夫です。  調子良いときは良いだけれど、最近は全然ダメです。
    [url=http://revelhuis.nl/60728/windows8_1_1/index.html]windows 8.1 ステンシル[/url] 露軍のシリア進出が地政学的な大転換であることが見てとれる。 クラウドで共有もできるので、わざわざ重たいファイルを送らなくても、URLを送ればオッケーです。
    [url=http://sydneyspinalcare.com/60728/windows10_1/index.html]windows 10 価格[/url]
    2015.06.11-12:24-◎警戒・・九州南部の蓄積エネルギー■気象九州では活発な梅雨前線が停滞し、ここ数日間大雨になっていますが、11日、熊本県・長崎県では1時間雨量が50ミリを超えるところが出て(雲仙岳→73ミリ)おり、土砂災害警戒情報が出されています。  予め地元のショップで3TのHDDは購入してありましたから、これが現在使っている2Tのやつよりちょっと安く1万円しないのですね。 [url=http://cuisineequipee.be/60715/win_server_1/index.html]windows sever 2012[/url]
    いまの時点で、ワシが100年後の人類へのプレゼントは、5つある。 しかしながらハイレゾマークの提供者SONYさん、日本企業で唯一、今の アップルコンピュータの地位(かそれ以上)になれたかもしれないのに、日本企業病のおかげで?アップルに食われてしまっております。
    [url=http://wphaberbot.com/wp-content/60720/windows10_1/index.html]windows10 認証[/url] 1 前の Office はアンインストールしたはずなのにちゃっかり残っていた。 この資料はMicrosoftの70-347認定試験のために特別に研究されたもので、受験生からの良い評価をたくさんもらいました。
    [url=http://drinkgive.org/wp-content/60720/windows8_1_1/index.html]windows 8.1 価格[/url]

14. Ruben Aue says:

Morning. I have not been on this page since august. It was basically because I was moving to Mexico because of my role at United Services Automobile Association. It takes a lot of time from me, however I still think about your post. I remember our days at Central Penn College (PA) in Florida. So delighted that we had a chance to have fun close the pool. Be sure to send my regards to Nicole as well as chris. Bye-bye

15. Jaime Fasy says:

Hello there! We are also a trainer. Thank you for providing such an enlightening blog. Being from Adamsville , has furnished me with a great awareness on what is required to sail to Woodstock. we will keep working to come and pay a visit to your blog to better understand where to go when we get to marietta. Be sure to continue publishing and furnish us your ideas on Vermont Technical College (VT). Hope to see you soon at the new job fair at Amerada Hess Corporation. Hasta la vista.

16. Martin Urrea says:

Well I truly enjoyed studying it. This tip offered by you is very constructive for good planning.

17. Morning. I have not been on this page since June. It was simply because I was vacationing to Michigan because of my role at Kimberly-Clark Corp. This will take a good deal of time from me, but I still think about your page. I remember our days at Columbia College Hollywood (CA) in Florida. So lucky that we had a experience to have fun nearby the park. If you please forward my compliments to Margaret and paul. Bye-bye

18. certainly like your website but you need to check the spelling on quite a few of your posts. Several of them are rife with spelling problems and I to find it very bothersome to inform the truth however I will definitely come back again.