The Future and Role of Music in Modern Society

Submitted by: Cal State University, Northridge

by Amy Izushima and Alicia Ramirez (mentor: Diane H. Roscetti)

In response to The Savvy Musician Challenge #1

Are Musicians Truly Important? Most people immediately agree that doctors, farmers, and teachers provide essential services to our communities.  But what about musicians?  Is our work vital?  What kind of important differences can we make?

Every era in time is accompanied by music of its time, almost like an imprint that reflects a cultural reality always striving for aesthetics. Music is truly a narrator of what human beings have gone through and are still evolving to become. We would imagine that, without music, the human life span will be shortened because without music, our ability to emotionally express will be limited and that would be directly linked to our mental and physical health. Music can be enjoyed, created, and played by virtually anybody. But, to sustain, create, and spread music that can be appreciated by the mass is a difficult thing to master.

Music can be made and played by virtually anybody, but only up to a certain level. Not anybody can play a piano like Elton John (pop); Bill Evans (jazz); or compose an emotionally riveting song like “Imagine” by John Lennon; or a triumphant masterpiece like Beethoven’s 5th Symphony. To master an instrument, a person would have to dedicate a big portion of their life to the instrument to play music. Hence, the profession: Musician.

Are musicians truly important? Some answer no, and we know there are people who would say that because of the image of certain musicians who are just lazy bums, who have addiction problems and do music because they just love being a “rock star”.

Then, we would say this to these persons, “Imagine your life without music”. Because, without a musician, there is no way to preserve music and to have music performed and be heard by people. Imagine yourself without lullabies sung by whoever cared for you when you were a baby; no birthday song on your birthday; no song to learn your alphabets; no songs to go along with the games you play with your classmates in school; no music in the Disney movies you watch; no songs to sing at high school football games; no music to listen to when you fall in love or when someone breaks your heart; no music to dance to; no music to accompany your graduation; no music to your wedding; no music to go along with your funeral. By listing all these events, you can tell how much music is integrated into our life.  The lullabies and birthday songs were probably sung by people who did not make music a career, but those songs were created by musicians and the song played on your graduation and wedding were played by musicians (whether it was a live performance, midi-recording, or a instrumental recording).

Our emotions and the feeling we get during certain events are important to us because that is what makes us human. The emotions of joy, sadness, anger, fear and anticipation can be enhanced when paired with the “right” music, and can also manifest emotions by just listening to the music that is paired with it. Music affects and manipulates emotion and the brain tremendously.

Music, as we’ve seen, is certainly a true companion of humans as it works quite efficiently in mirroring behaviors, needs, emotions and, therefore, the essence of a sub-culture within a bigger culture all over the globe. Music provided by musicians is generous, never discriminatory; rather a friend of every single human on earth, regardless of sex, age, social status, preferences or diagnosis. Music, then, has many functions, like the energy, that gives birth to what is almost a soundtrack to life. It is the social, emotional, and cognitive vehicle of society, reflecting the imprint of our present identity and the always-evolving identity.

Understanding music and some of its functions includes music as a container of emotion. A lot of our music preference taps into our deepest, most genuine, emotions and eventually affects our state of mind and, therefore, our behavior. Music has been an efficient carrier of information that has been used for centuries as a vehicle to communicate and teach, because it effectively taps into memory. Just imagine the ABC’s at school, or the array of lyrics in millions of tunes that influence people’s minds with a message consciously and unconsciously. Music behind commercials and movies move alarming amounts of money, and provide the element of entertainment as well as consumerism. As Plato reaffirmed, music needs to be treated with care, as it shapes our character.

Just as importantly, rhythm within the creation of music is a crucial aspect imbedded in our daily life, not only in the music we listen to, but in the way we are with ourselves and others. Rhythm is present and consistent in our dialogue, in the way we carefully and unconsciously coordinate social interactions. Rhythm is an organizer that acts as a physical structure and energizer. Think of the many ways in which rhythmic music can be used, when exercising, dancing and while working on other daily tasks (Hodges and Sebald). Studies have shown that rhythm and melody affect bodily responses altering blood pressure and heart rate, just to mention a few physiological responses. It’s important to keep in mind that all these changes affect the state of mind and that, without music and musicians to provide the music, the world would change dramatically.

There is much more regarding music and musicians that makes a difference around the globe. The study of music, as well as the psychology of music, has become increasingly more extensive, allowing new appreciation of the recurring presence and power of music. Disciplines such as Music Therapy, which, after careful assessment, strategically uses music to address a specific goal; cognitive, social or emotional for a specific client. This shows the overwhelmingly powerful effects of music and a few ways in which it is used today for the benefit of people.

Musicians create and perform music that enhances and manifest emotion; is used as a carrier of information, a method used to teach information by all cultures; is also effectively used in science and therapy. We all have our lives to live, and we all usually devote most of our time and life to one specific aspect which usually is related to our career. Musicians devote most of their time creating music and to perfecting their artistry with an instrument. Music itself requires these kinds of artistic and dedicated people to sustain and spread its creation.

Music Entrepreneurship is one of two courses used to fulfill a requirement for Music Majors at CSUN.  Our mentor, Prof. Roscetti is a vivacious and passionate professor who teaches us how to be a successful entrepreneur in the field of music. Our class consists of students who are open to discuss every matter relating to music and entrepreneurship.

398 Responses to “The Future and Role of Music in Modern Society”

1. Warren Earle says:

10/25/2016 I’m gratified by the manner in which savvymusician.com covers this type of issue! Generally to the point, often controversial, always well-written and also stimulating.

2. I’m gratified by the manner in which savvymusician.com handles this type of topic. Usually to the point, often contentious, consistently well-researched as well as thought-provoking.

3. Augustine says:

I precisely wished to appreciate you once more. I do not know the things that I could possibly have undertaken in the absence of the entire techniques discussed by you over such a subject matter. It absolutely was a horrifying setting in my circumstances, nevertheless spending time with a well-written form you processed it took me to weep with contentment. Extremely happy for the guidance and as well , wish you know what an amazing job that you’re undertaking teaching others using your blog. Probably you haven’t got to know all of us.

4. Virgil says:

Thanks so much for giving everyone remarkably splendid possiblity to read critical reviews from here. It is often so cool and packed with fun for me and my office mates to visit your blog not less than three times weekly to study the new things you have got. Of course, I’m also always fulfilled for the breathtaking tips you give. Some 1 facts in this posting are in truth the most suitable we have all had.

5. Aspes says:

Reparaciones: los materiales y mano de obra de las reparaciones efectuadas por el Servicio Oficial Siemens están garantizados durante un plazo de 2 años (garantía legal obligatoria solo 3 meses). Los repuestos originales son una garantía más de la calidad y fiabilidad de nuestras reparaciones. Nuestros repuestos son originales de fábrica y tenemos una alta disponibilidad de todos ellos, incluso para aparatos antiguos. Es posible concertar la reparación del electrodoméstico con un servicio VIP donde te atenderemos en menos de dos horas.

6. Monty Geib says:

Love this site– extremely user-friendly and lots to think about!

7. Does Joomla have got a Component that help to build a forum like Yahoo Answers?.

8. I need specific guidelines on how to web page link my blog effectively. Should my blog page be based on my site, or am i able to add to websites on related sites? I am fairly lost at this time, I basically need a blogging tour guide for dummies.

9. explorenina says:

Many of us love listening to music because of many reasons.
    First of all, it helps us to relax. When we organize a party, music is in the center of our interest. We choose the best songs and play them to make the atmosphere much better.

10. I do like to read this awesome blog i have read this awesome blog.

11. Quite the other, the opposition, whether it consists
    of 1 celebration or many, can proceed to take part in public life with the information that its place
    is essential in any democracy worthy of the identify. Nonetheless, this does not suggest that democracy can totally assure the prevention of oppressive or
    dictatorial rule, or that it is totally capable of preventing injustice in society.

12. I appreciate your wp web template, wherever would you obtain it from?

13. How can I make a demo for a template in Joomla?

14. Configurent says:

I believe everything said was actually very logical.
    However, what about this? what if you added a
    little information? I am not suggesting your content isn’t solid,
    however what if yyou added something that grabbed folk’s attention? I mean The Future and Role of
    Musiic in Modern Society | the savvy musican blog | The Savvy Musician Blog is kinda boring.
    You might glance at Yahoo’s ront page and note how they create post titles too
    grab people to click. You might add a video or a pic or two to get
    readers interested abokut everything’ve got too say.
    Just my opinion, it woukd make your posts a little bit more interesting.

Configurent

15. Hola. I am a very new Broadcast Technician and was who wish to better be well prepared for my employment at Costco Wholesale Corp.. This is the reason I arrived to your web-site. Being grown in Marbury and choosing to class at Long Island University–Brooklyn Campus in Daphne, has assisted me to plan for my destiny. My mom and dad are also course instructors and they explained me about this blog soon after researching Captain Duck. Thanks a ton

16. I simply needed to appreciate you once again. I do not know what I could possibly have handled without these suggestions documented by you about such a field. Certainly was an absolute distressing dilemma for me, but seeing the very well-written fashion you managed the issue made me to weep for joy. I’m grateful for this assistance and then hope that you know what an amazing job you are getting into training the rest by way of a site. Most probably you have never met all of us.

17. Suka dengan game simulation, nah salah satu game simulation yang sangat populer saat ini yaitu game simcity buildit mod apk terbaru untuk android. Sedangkan untuk game racing ringan yang sedang digemari oleh para game adalah Drive Ahead Mod Apk dan game zombie tsunami mod apk menempati game santai populer. Semoga game tersebut bisa sobat download di http://www.putraandro.com secara gratis dan mudah

18. Hi. I am a completely new Bank Teller and was who wish to better be prepared for my job at Costco Wholesale Corp.. This is why I came to your page. Being grown in Daleville and on the way to school at Long Island University–Brentwood Campus in Silverhill, has assisted me to get ready for my destiny. My folks were also teachers and they advised me about this blog upon researching Peepo!. Cheers

19. lucky says:

thanks for sharing

20. Suaranada.com telah berbagi lagu yang langsung dapat kalian miliki dengan cara mendownload lagu tersebut pada link yang tersedia. Lagu yang dapat kalian download seperti di bawah ini yang pertama adalah Lagu NDX AKA merupakan lagu hip hop yang cukup populer di daerah pulau jawa, Musik Orgen Lampung merupakan musik ciri khas dari masyarakat lampung dalam setiapacara rakyat, Lagu Vagetoz merupakan grup band yang cukup populer dengan lagu lagu yang mengeluarkan ciri khas dari vokalisnya, untuk berduet romantis dengan pasangan admin juga memiliki Lagu Duet Rhoma Irama yang pastinya dapat menambah erat hubungan dengan pasangan serta Lagu Jogja Hip Hop Foundation yang kembali membuat remaja atau anak muda bergoyang dengan gaya hi hop. Untuk lagu lainnya akan admin sajikan di lain waktu

21. Mencari tempat yang mempersona di jogja? nah, salah satu tempat yang akan membuat anda terpesona yaitu Tebing Breksi Jogja yang merupakan bekas tempat tambang kapur putih yang beralih menjadi tempat wisata yang menarik. Yang tidak kalah menarik yaitu temat wisata danau situ gede bogor dan juga Omah Kayu Batu malang. Dan semua informasi tentang tempat wisata bisa kalian dapatkan di http://www.wisatabagus.net . Terimakasih atas perhatiannya

22. I do trust all the ideas you’ve presented in your post. They’re really convincing and can certainly work. Still, the posts are too brief for newbies. May you please prolong them a little from next time? Thanks for the post.

23. Also, what degrees (if anyone) would be required to be an independent innovative writing teacher?.

24. Henrietta says:

Artikel yg sangat siiip. Ditulis dengan cara jelas dan gamblang serta mudah dipahami. Senang sekali berkunjung di blog Anda… :)

25. Erlene says:

Info yang benar2 bagus. Ditulis dengan jelas dan gamblang serta mudah dibaca. Senang sekali berkunjung di blog Anda… :)

26. Shelba says:

Penulisan yg begitu siiip. Dibahas dengan jelas dan gamblang serta enak dipahami. Senang sekali jalan2 di blog Anda… :)

27. I have written several articles and posted all of them on internet article directory sites. All directories I have submitted on suggest that if others wish to use the article they have to place the author’s link/s combined with the article. I have found a website that used my article and do not give me any credit (including adding my name). Is there anything I can perform about this?.

28. Valuable info. Lucky me I found your website by accident, and I am shocked why this accident didn’t happened earlier! I bookmarked it.

29. I appreciate your wp web template, wherever would you download it through?

30. stay with me says:

With havin so much content do you ever run into any issues of plagorism or copyright infringement? My blog has a lot of unique content I’ve either written myself or outsourced but it looks like a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my authorization. Do you know any methods to help protect against content from being ripped off? I’d truly appreciate it.|

31. I do trust all the ideas you’ve presented in your post. They’re really convincing and can certainly work. Still, the posts are too brief for newbies. May you please prolong them a little from next time? Thanks for the post.

32. How do I get my Wordpress blogs to get views in the days once i first post them?

33. Hello? I actually run a pupil service focused website that has a good zero of strikes. I would like to convert this to a company. Can I enroll the website itslef as a company or must i start a organization and the internet site should be owned by it? What is the protocol to start a new website organization in India? Please explain each stage in detail as I are totally new for this field..

34. articles that you provide a very interesting and very useful for me, thank you very much admin and sorry I have permission to share articles here hopefully help

35. Hello.This post was extremely fascinating, particularly because I was investigating for thoughts on this subject last Wednesday.

36. jual panah says:

What classic books should I go through to improve my creative writing?

37. Havin that much content and articles do you ever get any issues of plagiarism infringement? My site has a lot of completely unique content I’ve either written myself or outsourced but it seems a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my agreement. Do you know any techniques to help protect against content from being stolen? I’d truly appreciate it.

38. Acer Support says:

This is an enlightening post audit. I am so satisfied to get this post article and pleasant data. I was anticipating get such a post which is exceptionally useful to us.
    Acer Laptop support Number

39. Does a computer professional play a important role in designing an aircraft?

40. The article is very interesting to see, thank you for sharing this very interesting information

41. Thanks for sharing information very interesting and useful. Do not forget to visit our website to share information and knowledge about health

42. The article is very interesting to see, thank you for sharing this very interesting information

43. Previously we ask for permission to share, perhaps from you no trouble finding herbal medicinal agent QNC Jelly Gamat. This is the official agent QNC Jelly Gamat are ready to serve the order and delivery. thank you

44. Thanks for sharing the information…Success for the website, as well as the previously asked permission to visit here …

45. The information is very useful and interesting. Thanks for sharing and do not forget to visit our website to share information and knowledge

46. This is one of the best pages I’ve visited glad to be in your yard this amazing I find your site from gogole. Thanks for sharing, and I would be very happy and happy if you are also willing to visit to our website and read them to share information and knowledge about health, disease and treatment. Thank you and may be beneficial for all.

47. Obat step says: