Re-Imagining the Music Degree Recital

Music school curricula are filled with requirements. And all requirements show bias.  As a result of these rules, students’ priorities are heavily influenced (whether they know it or not).  So what lessons are being taught?  Are expectations likely to cultivate savvy entrepreneurial artists with the maximum potential for professional success?  Let’s consider the degree recital.

Degree recitals are a staple of every music performance program.  The following requirements are typical:

• Artistic excellence.  High level performance is mandatory.
  • Specified solo literature.  There are often repertoire regulations ensuring a well-balanced event featuring pieces from different eras.  For example, violinists may be expected to include a Bach solo suite, classical sonata, Romantic work, and something contemporary.  Each piece must feature the recital giver, whether on a single instrument work, composition with piano accompaniment, or concerto.
  • Venue.  The performance must be held in a pre-determined hall, usually in the music building.

So what does our current degree recital teach young musicians?  Playing a standard and balanced solo program in a pre-determined space at a high level equates to success.

The problem—it’s not true!

Now consider the outcomes if we were bold enough to re-imagine the degree recital. Obviously, artistic excellence should remain top priority.  But what if one or two additional aspects were stressed?  Below is a sampling of the types of expectations that could be incorporated.

1. Attracting audiences. If musicians can’t pack a free recital, how will they ever attract paying customers down this road? With this requirement, 100 attendees equals an A, 80 results in a B, and so forth. It doesn’t matter who’s in the audience— fellow music students, school children, church members, senior citizens bussed from a nursing home. Just fill the seats.
  2. Attracting new audiences.  A twist on the previous point. Performers specifically seek and engage audiences not typically involved with the musical genre they perform.
  3. Off-campus show. Students are typically required to perform in a given on-campus venue. Consider the lessons learned if students were asked to identify an off-campus venue or series, coordinate efforts with the presenter, and follow through on all logistical concerns. This could be anywhere: public school, library, park, museum, private residence, etc.
  4. Multiple performances.  Another possibility would be requiring both on and off campus performances. This also provides students more than one opportunity to perform music they have worked so diligently to prepare.
  5. Revenue generation. To succeed as a professional, we must be able to exchange art for income. A recital presents an opportunity to sell tickets, merchandise, and related services. And it’s easy to apply quantitative standards–$200+ is an A, etc. Money earned could be applied to some kind of meaningful project related to the music school.
  6. Public relations. A recital is the perfect occasion for learning how the media works, both mainstream and Internet. Students are asked to imagine a newsworthy angle for their show, write a press release, and pitch it to actual media sources. They register their concert with Internet event calendars, and approach radio stations.
  7. Marketing. Performers are required to draw up and enact a multi-faceted promotional plan, which includes branding, buzz marketing, social media, traditional advertising, and other techniques.
  8. Chamber music. Most school recitals focus on solo literature. Yet professionals are more likely to perform chamber music.  Why not allow the option of a chamber recital, even if none of the pieces specifically feature the degree recipient as a solo voice? They are responsible for organizing rehearsals, shaping interpretation, and leading the efforts.
  9. Unique programming.  While balanced literature requirements ensure that musicians become familiar with a range of musical styles, they often result with concerts that are generic and lack unity or “brand.” Instead, students can be asked to create programs with a central theme, compelling angle, or unusual approach. In the real world, niche programming is expected for recording and performing artists.
  10. Your own voice. Each student is required to include at least one element completely unique to them: an original composition, premier, new arrangement, interdisciplinary adventure, combination of instruments, secondary skills, etc.
  11. Collaboration. A recital is the perfect opportunity to work collaboratively, and not just with musicians. Possibilities include student/professional dancers, film makers, actors, visual artists, writers (to compose program notes), costume designers, lighting designers, stage designer, marketers, publicists, individuals connected to concert theme, etc.
  12. Audience engagement. For most student recitals, the audience is completely ignored.  The soloist doesn’t speak a word, and hides backstage during intermission. Why not require some kind of engaging and interactive activity that draws the audience in?  (“Lecture recitals” don’t count—they are often as dreadful and academic as the title suggests.)
  13. Education. Students are required to design and administer an educational teaching artist event at a local school or community built around one or more of their recital pieces.

Obviously, it’s not possible for every student do all these things on each recital.  But focusing on just one or two elements in addition to performance excellence would have a huge impact.  Perhaps the students themselves could decide which challenge they’d like to conquer.

NOTE TO SAVVY STUDENTS

Who cares if these are official requirements?  Why not impose a few on yourself?

True, incorporating additional challenges like the ones outlined above is time intensive. But it also offers experiential and real time lessons, emphasizing that success requires a whole lot more than great playing on a formulaic program. Re-imagining the music degree recital presents an exciting opportunity to better prepare students to thrive as professionals.

550 Responses to “Re-Imagining the Music Degree Recital”

1. borwap says:

I have always been about to begin a blog. Along with many other hopeful’s, I really hope to eventually make money off it. I discovered a lots of sites do not allow you for making money of google advertisement sense and things like that. What are some sites I can start my blog on that will allow this since it appears to be the most rewarding way to generate money off a blog?.

2. I’m gratified with the way that savvymusician.com handles this sort of subject! Generally to the point, sometimes polemic, without fail thoughtful and also challenging.

3. Love the website– extremely informative and lots to explore!

4. 9/27/2016 I’m gratified with the way that savvymusician.com deals with this kind of topic! Usually to the point, often polemic, without fail well-written and also stimulating.

5. How do you prevent content from being taken out on youtube due to copyright?

6. Mormile says:

Hey there! I realize this really is sort of off subject yet I was thinking which in turn blog podium are you using for this web page? I’m receiving fed up associated with WordPress due to the fact I’ve received problems with online hackers and I’m thinking about alternatives for yet another platform. We would possibly be fantastic when you may level us in the direction of an excellent software.

7. Many thanks for the noteworthy website you’ve created at savvymusician.com. Your enthusiasm is absolutely contagious. Thanks again!

8. We are searching both to get blogs that give unbiased, balanced commentary upon all problems or blogs that have a liberal or left-wing slant. Thank you..

9. I’m pleased with the way that savvymusician.com covers this type of subject matter! Generally to the point, sometimes polemic, without fail well-researched and also thought-provoking.

10. How can I select how many posts demonstrated on my blogger homepage?

11. android sdk says:

How can you inform if a has copyright content or not?.

12. DiscountPow says:

I’m just wondering how will I make my blog in blogspot available through google internet search? I’ve truly seen some blogs that may easily be googled yet mine will not likely show online at all..

13. savvymusician.com does it yet again! Very perceptive site and a thought-provoking article. Keep up the good work!

14. savvymusician.com does it yet again! Very thoughtful site and a good post. Thanks!

15. I want to make my own internet site to sell factors but I use no idea where to start.. I don’t no what websites to go on, or just how much it will be (or if there is certainly any way i can do it free of charge? ). May someone give me as very much information as is possible and a website exactly where i can start please?. I want as very much help as it can be..

16. Eden Shimp says:

Congrats for the noteworthy blog you’ve set up at savvymusician.com. Your enthusiastic take on the subject is certainly contagious. Thanks again!

17. 11/7/2016 Like this site– very easy to navigate and much to see!

18. Was new to running a blog. So would like to know more regarding blogs..

19. car diagram says:

We now have learned a good deal about recovering from narcotic addiction and have discovered several strategies that work well. This is info drug treatment programs would not desire out since it would lead them to lose a lot of patients. Would it be better to start with a blog or a website? We eventually hope to make this into an alternative business that would assist individuals get of methadone clinics. Any suggestions would be significantly appreciated since there is a dire need for these details. Thank you..

20. Incluye aplicaciones prácticas del frío (refrigeración y congelación de alimentos y bebidas, procesos de conservación, etc.) y del aire acondicionado (viviendas, locales comerciales, oficinas, teatros, hospitales, museos, etc.). Estudia también los distintos equipos que forman las instalaciones, así como su reparación y mantenimiento. Es un libro muy práctico y didáctico de gran interés para el profesional y para el que quiera iniciarse en la materia, así como para cursos de formación de refrigeración y aire acondicionado. Ofrecemos un servicio de asistencia profesional, siendo independientes a cualquier marca.

21. You can print pretty much anything in your M&M’s. In case you are a sports fan, 100 possible print simple . NBA, NFL, and MLB teams. For anybody who is a Disney fan, it’s totally also print the faces of simple . characters, while Mickey Mouse, Winnie the Pooh, CARS, and your cast of High School Musical. These custom blends printed most things you want will surely surprise and please that special someone.

22. I want to switch to a clean new WordPress theme to get a site, but Google offers indexed 2500 pages in the old site (mainly due to a work schedule module creating a new web page for each day). How do I assure all those web pages remain available for Google, without throwing up a “Page Not Found” when somebody tries to can get on after setting up the new WordPress theme. The present site can be content maintained and is operating pHp..

23. Imagine if i a new blog with the same name as various other blog accidentally? is that legal?

24. How can i begin firefox having a message to restore the last session?

25. youtube.com says:

Existe em algum momento uma falha nas nossas condutas, na nossa práxis no sentido do cuidado destas adolescentes,
    que continuam a engravidar precocemente, devendo
    ser repensadas num novo olhar que certamente
    se estende a conhecimentos técnico-científico.

26. How to make a false blog on a personality expressing his feelings?

27. I actually is 13 and compose the scripts for the school’s takes on, write stories and film mini documentaries. I want to be a creative article writer for WWE (writing the storylines). I understand I will need to work to get other TELEVISION productions prior to joining the WWE corporate. How can I improve my innovative writing abilities so that I can be successful within my career?.

28. I’m just 15, yet i’m aiming to raise money to go on a expensive trip next year. I actually is planning on getting a summertime job, however it usually just pays minimum wage. I simply want other people’s opinions upon whether its safe and a good idea to become a blogger to get cash. thanks!.

29. How to make previous computer a client of new windows vista computer?

30. Stoehr says:

I appreciate the details on your site. Kudos!

31. LONNY ALPERT says:

I am the founder of a nonprofit organization that teaches music education through performance. I am elated that I found your book in the library. You have put in writing what we are all about plus more!
    Our challenge is getting the schools to see the change that is necessary to help the students flourish when they are on their own. What is your best advice to get the schools to cooperate and think out of the box?
    Lonny Alpert
    Executive Director
    Live-2-Create Project Inc

32. Terese Neang says:

^.. Background: I’m trying to get an MFA in innovative writing program, and I’ve truly never used a creative composing course. The majority of my innovative writing knowledge comes from study I did on my own. I’m thinking if within my research I at least learned the basic principles of creative writing, or if I do need to take a course prior to starting the program? What do you think? I know most of the fictional elements and exactly how they can be implemented, though I actually can’t say that I implement them well..

33. You have some really great posts and I believe I would be a good asset. I’d absolutely love to write some material for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please shoot me an e-mail if interested. Cheers!

34. I have been reading out some of your stories and i must say clever stuff. I will surely bookmark your blog.

35. The heart of your writing whilst sounding agreeable at first, did not really settle very well with me personally after some time. Someplace throughout the sentences you were able to make me a believer but only for a while. I nevertheless have got a problem with your jumps in logic and one might do well to fill in those gaps. In the event you can accomplish that, I would undoubtedly be amazed.

36. How can i make one of my blogs appear on a different one of my pages?

37. I have an essay in Microsoft Term format which I want to copy/paste in to my blogspot blog. But every time I do this, I actually get error messages from blogspot regarding all the odd Word code, and then it comes out searching all crazy format-wise. How do i strip the text of all the Word junk?.. We don’t know anything at all about CODE..

38. Perr says:

Thanks lots for supplying individuals with an exceptionally stunning possibility to learn to read essential opinions out of this web page.

39. I want to major in either British Literature, Innovative Writing or English having a minor/concentration in Creative Composing..

40. I know many wikipedia articles consists of copyright infringement or licence violation. how do i do this..

41. If I reword a news article I examine online. Rewording it so it is totally different, is copyright violation? I want to send out a few tales to local community papers. Thanks for your answers..

42. jual panah says:

I’m going to start a severe blog that will eventually keep a great deal of content. I was a visual designer, and my husband will my internet programming, which means this is for reals (haha, yes I just said that). That being said, I’ve already started collecting my content material and writing entries, yet just how much content material should a new blog have when you “unveil” it to the globe (ideally)?.. Thanks a lot: ).

43. This is the correct weblog for anybody who wants to seek out out about this topic. You notice a lot its nearly arduous to argue with you (not that I really would need…HaHa). You positively put a brand new spin on a subject thats been written about for years. Great stuff, simply great!

44. I possess heard that you can make money from blogging, but i truly don’t understand the concept. How do you associated with money? Just how much can you make? Is it hard? Is it easy? Is it time consuming? Is it worth it? If you can answer that would be great, thanks..

45. It used to display at the top of my start list until I downloaded google-chrome to see what was about, I didn’t really like this so I erased it but now firefox isnt at the top of start. Any suggestions?.

46. What blogging website had the least invasive ads to get free-account users?

47. I’d discover all kinds of ads about blogging on the Internet to earn money, but don’t know of anybody that has in fact made anything this way. I’d personally love to hear from anybody who has..

48. I’m searching for some really good business sites to add to my google reader that are worthwhile following on an ongoing basis. Are you able to make and recommendations? I possess Seth Godin’s already. Thanks!.. It would become helpful in case you told me why you liked these websites..

49. It is a truth that most of the world’s news provision is controlled by right wing moguls. Their aim is to further the virus of capitalism and retain the planet’s differentials between wealthy and poor. Left Insider offers left wing articles from reliable news sites like Left Futures, Red Pepper, Novara, The Canary, Buzz Feed, Left Foot Forward etc. We all own the right to fully exploit our own potential and we all have the duty to assist others maximise theirs.

50. You have distinctive desert safari timings to browse on the off chance that you tend to remain occupied in the nighttimes safari overnight you can take a short desert safari in the morning which additionally incorporates various exercises. At that point you can likewise appreciate an excellent involvement with the stunning night desert safari which is loaded with substantially more exercises, sumptuous supper game plans and a pleasant perspective of the setting sun