National Arts Engagement Day

Author and marketing guru Seth Godin recently made this suggestion: Invent a Holiday...

Find an emotion that needs social approval in order to be easily expressed.  Hook it into something you sell or do.  Discover other organizations that would benefit from the holiday as much as you would.  Voila! Mother’s Day/Valentine’s Day/Festivus/New Year’s. It doesn’t have to be a national one, of course, just one for your tribe. All the great religious holidays started as secular or pagan holidays first, because they filled an essential social need. Spring is here! It’s dark out!

And if your project/product/cause isn’t worthy of a holiday? Time to find a new one.

As savvy artists, I propose we found National Arts Engagement Day.

Here’s how it works.  On this special annual holiday, families and neighborhoods bond together while experiencing art firsthand in at least two different ways.

We’re not talking about witnessing someone else’s artistic vision here. Arts Engagement Day isn’t simply about attending a museum, viewing a concert, or watching a play as a passive bystander.  On the contrary, participants take time from their busy lives to assume the role of artist during this extraordinary celebration.  They celebrate their own creative capacity, while experiencing the unparalleled power of the arts to build community, tap into self-discovery, and unleash the imagination. All while having a great time.

To ensure this date lives up to its potential, arts organizations from across the land organize interactive events where children of all ages make crafts, paint murals, invent instruments, improvise scenarios, fashion poetry, design wardrobes, and choreograph movement. Some events address pressing social themes (environmentalism, criminal justice, discrimination), behavioral concepts (leadership, collaboration, considering multiple perspectives), or knowledge expansion (African culture, farming, Romantic literature).  Others are just plain fun.  Arts events are scheduled in concert halls, movie theaters, grocery stores, libraries, public squares, home basements, bridges, and anywhere else conceivable.

Martin Luther King Day has evolved into a pro-active holiday.  With the slogan “A Day On, Not a Day Off,” it encourages all to offer valuable service to their communities through volunteering.  Similarly, Arts Engagement Day provides a persuasive excuse for participants to get involved while giving the gift of art to themselves and loved ones.

Imagine what Arts Engagement Day could do for the arts world.  Imagine what it could do for our families.  Imagine what it could do for our society.

What do you think?

112 Responses to “National Arts Engagement Day”

1. You are totally right. I liked reviewing this info and I will certainly get back for more immediately. Our website is about best wireless headphones for running, you can check it out if you’re interested in this.

2. click here says:

You’re absolutely correct, I would really like to discover more information on the topic! I am also interested in earphones since I believe it’s quite trendy in these days. Thanks!

3. You are absolutely correct and I trust you. If you want, we can as well speak about new smartphones, a thing that fascinates me. The website is impressive, cheers!

4. cannabis says:

Without proper research, your readers will not be interested and you would lose credibility. Well I will never be the same after seeing this!

5. Thanks a lot for the awesome post! I certainly appreciated reading it.I will make sure to save your site and will often return in the future. I would love to encourage you to keep going with the wonderful work, possibly discuss tv online also, have a good afternoon!

6. lord ganesha says:

A large percentage of of whatever you assert happens to be astonishingly legitimate and that makes me ponder why I had not looked at this in this light previously. This article really did switch the light on for me personally as far as this specific subject goes. Nonetheless at this time there is just one position I am not too comfy with so whilst I attempt to reconcile that with the actual central theme of the position, permit me observe what the rest of the visitors have to say.Nicely done.

7. I’m curious to know what site system you are utilizing? I’m experiencing several small security issues with the latest blog regarding free new movies online so I would love to find a thing a lot more secure. Do you have any suggestions?

8. clic aquí says:

There are absolutely a great deal of particulars like that to take into consideration. Which is a terrific point to bring up. I provide the thoughts above as general inspiration but clearly you’ll find questions like the one you bring up where essentially the most important thing will be working in honest excellent faith. I don?t know if best practices have emerged about things like that, but I am confident that your job is clearly identified as a fair game. Both boys and girls really feel the impact of just a moment’s pleasure, for the rest of their lives.

9. click here says:

I’m really intrigued to learn which site system you are using? I am experiencing several slight safety difficulties with our most recent site on automated forex trading and I would love to find one thing more secure. Have you got any alternatives?

10. Darwin Horan says:

I frequently go through your content closely. I’m likewise curious about investing in real estate, perhaps you might discuss that from time to time. Regards.

11. Dr.Punnet and her Teams are really a great cheater in Delhi for IVF, initially they say we will provide world best technology but after getting all money they all can’t do any thing and again repeat cycle or again take money for evry cycle same money, they all are playing with the emotions of allots of couples, God will never forgive you Dr. Puneet. this is very bad clinic, this is only earning money nothing else, avoid this doctor, try in AIIMS, GANGA RAM ANY OTHER Government hospitals are better, all private IVF centre are cheaters, maainly Dr. Puneet is great cheater in Delhi.

12. I just arrived right here via another web address related to card numbers that work and imagined I may as well consider this. I enjoy what I see therefore now I am following you. Looking forward to exploring the site yet again.