The Working Musician: Full-Time Orchestra Member

Tens of thousands of classically trained musicians dream of obtaining full-time employment in a top-tier orchestra.  In some cases, they believe this is the only desirable prospect available for achieving a successful life in music (though anyone who has read The Savvy Musician surely understands that many other exciting and feasible paths exist!).   In their minds, an orchestral job is the ultimate professional goal and a near utopian career.

The truth is that orchestra work, like any other profession, has advantages and disadvantages.  It’s an excellent fit for some, but not for everyone.  As you read the pros and cons below, consider whether this dream is one worth chasing for someone with your personality and artistic/life objectives.

PROS

1. The experience.  Orchestra members have the opportunity to perform some of the greatest music ever composed on a regular basis. In addition, players contribute to an artistic vision that is greater than the sum of its parts.
  2. Financial security.  Full-time orchestra work provides a dependable and sometimes substantive paycheck (see below for base salaries). Additionally, many positions include full medical coverage, sick leave, a generous retirement pension, and other glorious benefits.
  3. Job security.  Full-time orchestra positions are typically tenured, meaning that members can’t be fired unless they do something horrible and the err in their ways is proven to an arbitration panel. Earning tenure typically takes 1-3 years, depending on the orchestra, and involves reviews along the way focusing on playing, professionalism, and compatibility.
  4. Built-in opportunities.  Many orchestras tour and record, providing fulfilling experiences and additional income.
  5. Credibility.  Landing an orchestra job boosts credibility and unlocks opportunities.  For example, many music schools hire their applied faculty from professional orchestras.
  6. Schedule.  Orchestras maintain fairly regular and reasonable schedules.  Musicians are typically required to perform 8 services per week (around 20 hours, not including practice time).  Some groups provide 8-10 weeks of paid vacation.  These arrangements allow members to pursue additional work (teaching, chamber music, etc.), spend time with their families, etc.
  7. Community.  Working in an orchestra places you among a community of accomplished musicians.  These colleagues probably share similar interests, and are potential partners for chamber music and other ventures.
  8. Service. Orchestral players have the opportunity to influence young people through educational programs and contribute to the identity of their community. Making a meaningful difference is part of the job requirement.

CONS

1. Dissatisfaction.  With the advantages above, it’s easy to understand why so many performers aspire to join the ranks of a major symphony orchestra.  Yet, despite these perks, many players are dissatisfied with their work.  According to Harvard researcher Richard Hackman, orchestral musicians rank among the lowest in terms of overall job satisfaction compared to other professions, below even federal prison guards.  (Incidentally, chamber musicians are the happiest.)
  2. Dysfunction.  Some orchestras are permeated with a culture of cynicism.  In particular, problems arise when conductors are condescending or in-fighting becomes prominent. It can be difficult to stay positive when so much negativity is in the air.
  3. Lack of control/creativity.  An orchestra is no democracy. The conductor determines musical decisions.  An artistic director and advisory committee program concerts. Staff members and the board oversee most other issues.  Members are paid to play as they are told. As a result, musicians often grow frustrated with the bureaucracy that surrounds them, as well as the lack of control and creative input they are allowed.
  4. Anonymity.  Some orchestral musicians originally hoped for a career as a soloist or chamber musician.  In the orchestra, there may be few opportunities to shine and their talent to be celebrated.  This is particularly true for non-principal players.
  5. Limited career advancement.  After securing a position, the possibility of career advancement is limited. Because principal players often keep their jobs for 30+ years, there are few opportunities for section players to move up.
  6. Boredom/disappointment in literature.  Orchestras are notorious for programming the same repertoire repeatedly, causing some players to grow bored from this monotony. Additionally, some “serious” musicians become frustrated with the large amount of “pops” concerts scheduled by their orchestra.
  7. Extra work.  Some ensembles require members to do additional work beyond their contract without compensation (i.e. donor relations, marketing, etc.). While these actions may be necessary for the group to thrive, some musicians have reported dissatisfaction.
  8. Diminished funding. Most orchestras are faced with extreme financial challenges, especially during the current economic downturn.  Several have cut back their seasons, reduced pay to musicians, and shrunk their forces.

COMPENSATION

Below are sample base salaries for various orchestras.  Principal chairs and players with seniority receive more. While some full-time orchestras pay handsomely, others do not, requiring members to secure additional income sources to survive.

Chicago Symphony   $130,000 Pittsburgh Symphony $109,700
Houston Symphony    $78,000 Rochester Philharmonic $42,000
Honolulu Symphony $36,000 Virginia Symphony $27,000

GETTING THE WORK

Obtaining a full-time orchestra position is extremely competitive.  Because the marketplace is oversaturated with outstanding performers, not all qualified applicants are able to secure work. To emphasize this point:

• There are just 18 American orchestras with a 52-week schedule.  Around 60 work 40+ weeks per year.
  • Between these 60 groups, there are circa 250 full-time openings per year total, all instruments.  The most openings were in 1986 (328), and the least in 2006 (192).  The number of advertised jobs is trending downward*.
  • Not all spots are awarded to newcomers—many are offered to those with previous appointments.
  • Some orchestras now favor subs over full-time members, to cut costs.
  • Openings typically have 150-300+ applicants, depending on the instrument.  The Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra recently received over 500 audition tapes for a single flute post.
  • Some instruments, such as tuba and harp, typically have 1 or 0 openings in a given year.
  • Each year, music schools graduate 11,000 undergraduate music majors, 4,000 with master’s degrees, and 800 with doctoral degrees.  Around 5,600 are performance majors.  There is no concrete data on the percentage of these students actively pursuing full-time orchestral work.

Every musician I’ve met who dreams of becoming a full-time orchestra member understands that winning a job is competitive.  At least theoretically. But they often don’t understand the tremendous odds they’re up against. The statistics above are not meant to discourage anyone from their aspiration, but rather to present an honest picture of the reality.

If this kind of work suits your personality and you’re prepared/lucky enough to land a desirable job, wonderful!  But if not, please understand that there are many other fulfilling and important opportunities available to musicians.

—-

* This research was provided by Brandon VanWaeyenberghe, who is currently working on a comprehensive study on the supply and demand elements in the orchestra field for the past 25 years.  More updates are to follow and I will be linking to his work in the near future.

For information about auditioning, see Competitive Auditions.

The Working Musician Series examines the kinds of opportunities available to musicians.

585 Responses to “The Working Musician: Full-Time Orchestra Member”

1. Music reconciling the world, with music tidk no more disputes and differences in skin color or race. all kinds of music here
    kolam musik Indonesia

2. Laura Shytia says:

Kumpulan Lagu Indonesia terlengkap
    full album pop

3. Ian Festa says:

Have you ever thought about including a little bit more than just your articles? I mean, what you say is fundamental and everything. However think about if you added some great visuals or videos to give your posts more, “pop”! Your content is excellent but with pics and videos, this website could definitely be one of the best in its field. Wonderful blog!

4. In Mozilla Firefox how do you personalize the tool bars to different colors and styles?

5. Everything is very open with a precise explanation of the issues.
    It was really informative. Your site is useful.

Thanks for sharing!

6. How do I post to my wordpress blog from my desktop, with no 3rd party software?

7. Erik Rothenberg says:

I’m researching professional musicians as a class who forgo having children, or leave their families to play music full time vs. musicians who leave music or do music only part time, in order to become full time parents.

Would you be able to direct me towards research on this subject?

8. I do consider all of the ideas you’ve presented in your post. They’re really convincing and will definitely work. Nonetheless, the posts are too quick for beginners. Could you please extend them a little from subsequent time? Thanks for the post.

9. you are really a good webmaster. The web site loading speed is amazing. It seems that you’re doing any unique trick. Moreover, The contents are masterpiece. you have done a great job on this topic!

10. How can I obtain the computer in one room to send stuff towards the printer on my pc in an additional room. Internet?

11. leather sofa says:

Thank you for the good writeup. It in fact used to be a enjoyment account it. Glance advanced to more introduced agreeable from you! However, how can we keep in touch?

12. infonavit says:

What’s up to every single one, it’s actually a nice for me to visit this web page, it consists
    of priceless Information.

13. jasa seo says:

I love reading personal blogs, Mommy blogs, and so forth.. What may be the best way to find these types of blogs on-line? The best method I possess is just following bookmarks people have — going to a single bloggers “favorites” then the next bloggers bookmarks, and so forth… I’ve truly tried Google Blogsearch but all that gives me is older news content, etc . Nothing at all personal at all… How do you search for personal sites?.

14. Wonderful goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you’re just extremely magnificent. I really like what you’ve acquired here, really like what you’re saying and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still take care of to keep it wise. I can’t wait to read far more from you. This is really a terrific website.

15. Wonderful blog! Do you have any tips for aspiring writers? I’m planning to start my own site soon but I’m a little lost on everything. Would you recommend starting with a free platform like Wordpress or go for a paid option? There are so many choices out there that I’m totally overwhelmed .. Any ideas? Thanks a lot!

16. I do love the manner in which you have framed this matter and it does indeed present me personally some fodder for consideration. Nonetheless, because of everything that I have witnessed, I just hope as the feedback pack on that folks stay on point and don’t get started upon a tirade of some other news du jour. All the same, thank you for this exceptional point and whilst I do not necessarily concur with this in totality, I regard your viewpoint.

17. This design is spectacular! You definitely know how to keep a reader entertained. Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own blog (well, almost…HaHa!) Great job. I really enjoyed what you had to say, and more than that, how you presented it. Too cool!

18. I had two computers both connected to a wireless router. Yesterday I linked a third computer to the network and, even though the connection undergoes for this fresh computer, among the original computer systems now says “Limited or any connectivity” and cannot connect with the Internet. Is it possible that the fresh computer is definitely using up too much bandwidth and is therefore avoiding the additional computer from accessing the web?.

19. What do people think would be a great blog hosting website for producing a blog on? There are a lot I think and so i don’t know which would be best and versatile..

20. How to quit Firefox download window from popping up in Mac?

21. e white wer new balance sneakers meisjes e quanta, viz. because that to which musicalness a fila schoenen nd whiteness belong is a quantum, and some are quanta in the new balance sneakers meisjes way in which movement and time are so; for these also are fila schoenen called quanta of a sort and continuous because the things of which these are new balance breedtematen

22. buty salomon says:

erman to Tregarthen.“O!” returned Kitty’s father, surveying the unfortu new balance zwart roze nate captain with new balance zwart roze a look of extre new balance sneaker me disfavour. new balance sneaker “I confess that I can’t Anthony Tolliver Jersey say I am glad Nike Free 4.0 Flyknit Donne to see you.”“No,” said new balance 998 online sh Anthony Tolliver Jersey o

23. at new balance 996 zwart from which and that to which the movemen new balance 996 zwart t is, i.e. the new balance dames wandelschoenen final cause); (4) new balance dames wandelschoenen the substance of each thing, and the essence of each; for this is the limit of knowledge; and if of knowledge, of the Maillot Autriche Pas Cher object also. Evidently, Maillot Autriche Pas Cher t

24. I blog frequently and I genuinely thank you for your content. This article has really peaked my interest. I am going to bookmark your site and keep checking for new details about once a week. I subscribed to your Feed too.

25.
    Solamente voy a decir tres palabras: este texto da sueño.
    Ahhh no perdón son cuatro. Jaja. Pero siendo serios estuvo bueno.

26. I follow all of the installation guidelines, after downloading it, but Mozilla Firefox blocks the installation..

27. I do not even know how I ended up right here, but I thought this post was good. I do not understand who you might be however certainly you’re going to a well-known blogger if you happen to are not already ;) Cheers!

28. Since the MSM is totally skewed, what blogs/websites have you found that give you information the fact that MSM ignores?.

29. Foster Ovit says:

excellent submit, very informative. I wonder why the opposite experts of this sector do not realize this. You must proceed your writing. I’m sure, you’ve a huge readers’ base already!|

30. It’s going to be ending of mine day, however before finish I am reading this wonderful piece of writing to increase my experience.|

31. Hi there to all, it’s actually a fastidious for me to go to see this web site, it consists of useful Information.|

32. check it out says:

Hi everyone, it’s my first pay a visit at this site, and
    post is really fruitful designed for me, keep
    up posting such articles.