Posted by David Cutler
on Oct 28th, 2009 in Money
| 52 comments
How much money is going in and out of your life? Most musicians have no idea. One practical and helpful exercise is to create a budget.
CLICK HERE FOR SAMPLE BUDGET
Click the link above for a budget template where you can calculate earnings and expenses for an average month. Another great exercise, especially for students, is to try projecting these numbers as they will look in your future. Here are a few issues to keep in mind.
- Don’t cheat. Be as accurate as possible.
- Annual expenses. For annual expenses, divide by 12 so you have a monthly figure.
- Variable expenses. Some expenses, like utilities, vary from month to month. In this case, figure the average monthly expense.
- Categories. Feel free to invent your own categories if necessary. The more specific you are, the better prepared you will be to analyze your situation and make changes if need be.
- Goal. Your goal is for earnings to be greater than spending so money can be saved each month. Hopefully your bottom line will be a positive number!
Leave a Reply