You Fail!!! But Are You Doing it Right?

Most musicians I know are terrified of failure. They beat themselves up for each mistake, and suffer bouts of depression with each rejection. Failure is viewed as the enemy, and one to be avoided at all costs. So they play it safe.  Really safe.

But everyone fails. This is a simple fact of life, and there’s no way to avoid it. The important question—what kind of failure are you experiencing?

• Type A Failure stems from action. You try something, give it your all, but it doesn’t work out.
  • Type B Failure stems from inaction. You do little or nothing, even though it’s important to you.  Often this is because you’re paralyzed by the prospect of (ironically) failure.

Disenfranchised musicians have typically experienced few Type A failures. Expecting a near 100% success rate, they view each bump in the road as an omen. When something doesn’t work out, it causes them to retreat and become a little less ambitious. These individuals start blaming society, the educational system, government, a lack of personal talent, or even the art itself for their disappointments. As a result, a Type B failure of the largest order is suffered. Their career doesn’t work. Their income doesn’t grow. Their dreams aren’t realized.

Successful musicians have typically experienced an enormous number of Type A failures. Expecting a 1-5% success rate (one triumph out of approximately 20 to 100 attempts), they are shocked and delighted when the results are anything better. Each bump in the road is interpreted as an opportunity or necessary step in the process. When something doesn’t work out, it fills them with determination and ambition. In fact, some successful artists actually proudly maintain rejection letters as badges of honor.  After all, they’re out there working to make things happen!  And by lighting that many fires, some will surely catch. As a result, their career, income, and dreams build momentum.

Everyone hates Type B failures.  They may not have the immediate sting of a Type A, but they’re much more damning in the long run. The resultant sense of helplessness and deep dissatisfaction takes a devastating toll over time.

Now, don’t get me wrong.  Nobody likes Type A failures either.  It’s always nicer when things work out the first time. But success can be really hard to achieve when you place all your eggs in one basket (or no basket at all!), especially in a field as competitive and challenging as the arts.

On the other hand, the more failures you allow to accrue, the more successes will likely be picked up along the way. And success begets success. So allow yourself to fail. Hundreds and hundreds of times. Maybe more. With those kinds of numbers, I bet you’ll be impressed with the results.

If you really want to succeed, be willing to fail.

130 Responses to “You Fail!!! But Are You Doing it Right?”

1. Much obliged for this post, i have discovered this extremly helpful. i would like to find out extra info about it.

2. Toyota Calya says:

How can you save your book marks in Chrome when moving from one pc to another?

3. Now i am planning to generate my own blog, and a question comes up to my mind..

4. Canal says:

Had to create which you hardly any expression to thanks all over again about the great recommendations you’ve offered below.

5. Mobilia says:

I feel genuinely thrilled to have noticed ones webpage and also look forward to plans amusing occasions reading through right here. Appreciate it once more for all you specifics.

6. Runfola says:

I really believe there are several more pleasant options in advance for folks that looked at your blog.

7. Importante empresa necesita contratar a 2 bachilleres técnicos en mecánica como ayudante de taller mecánico para la ciudad de quito sector sangolqui,los candidatos deben tener disponibilidad de tiempo,disponibilidad para viajar y tener destrezas físicas. Nuevo local de comida rápida dentro de centro comercial busca el mejor personal para atención y preparación de sandwich chilenos, fundamental buena disposición para atención al cliente, proactividad y sentido común. Empresa de servicios industriales requiere Ingeniero Mecanico, con minimo 5 años de experiencias en estructuras metalicas, diseño de tanques, soldadura de tuberias.

8. Tips blog says:

you will have a great weblog here! would you prefer to make some invite posts on my weblog?

9. Now i’m into pictures and wish to start we have work and attracting more clients. My question is definitely how would I go about starting a website exactly where people can get my photos or get in touch with me regarding taking photos? I’m looking for a way to increase my marketing and wants to start a website. Any advice will be greatly appreciated..

10. Cristal says:

Have you ever thought about including a little bit more than just your articles? I mean, what you say is valuable and everything. But just imagine if you added some great photos or video clips to give your posts more, “pop”! Your content is excellent but with images and videos, this blog could undeniably be one of the greatest in its niche. Very good blog!

11. I must thank you for the efforts you’ve put in writing this blog. I am hoping to check out the same high-grade content by you in the future as well. In fact, your creative writing abilities has encouraged me to get my own, personal blog now ;)

12. Muncrief says:

Your personal dedication for you to get your meaning during came into existence rather effective and still have constantly made it possible for staff exactly like me personally to arrive on their particular goals.

13. Ek says:

I want to motivate you proceed the great articles, employ a good weekend break!

14. I actually is beginning a business selling various baby things which i make. And I want to begin a website to be able to sell them on. Would someone please tell me the steps that I would need to move through to do this? And what may be the cost?. Thanks a lot..

15. I have a blogspot account. I want to be able to discover what condition, country my visitors are from..

16. Desert safari tours offers evening desert safari tour in Dubai with BBQ dinner, sunset, skiing on sand, international cuisines, camel rides and henna tattoo. For booking call us now (00971) 50 2661837.

17. Experience a magnificent Dhow cruise in Abu Dhabi with UAETour. We offer a luxury cruise to set your senses and taste buds alight.

18. kingroot app says:

I certainly love your site and find the majority of your posts to be precisely what I’m trying to find. Would you offer people to create content material for you? I would not mind producing a piece of text about kingroot master or on a few of the things you are writing about here. Again, awesome site!

19. Howdy, you’re definitely correct. I always look over your posts attentively. I am also fascinated by download lucky patcher apk, maybe you could discuss this sometimes. Good bye.

20. If you want nothing short of the best desert safari in Dubai, read our helpful guide to understanding and choosing your options for the best Arabian safari.

21. Save $1000 a person on a safari in the Namib Desert.

22. Cori says:

Hawthornes upon 11th and Fitzwater is the ideal brunch I incorporate at any time experienced and need to actually be upon this listing.

23. Hi, you’re absolutely correct. I always look over your articles attentively. I’m also focused on download vshare, you might talk about that occasionally. Bye bye.

24. I was conversing with a good friend of my own about this article and about lic policy payment too. I do believe you made a few very good points on this page, we’re also looking forward to find out more stuff from you.

25. I was discussing with a good friend of mine about this info and also regarding running earphones too. I do think you made a lot of great points here, we’re also excited to keep reading information from you.

26. Hello there, you are definitely right. I frequently read your articles thoroughly. I’m also considering smartphone deals, maybe you could write about that sometimes. Have a good day.

27. click here says:

You are certainly correct and I trust you. If you wish, we could as well speak regarding mobile application development, something which fascinates me. The website is certainly amazing, best wishes!

28. There is terrific upgrades on the design of your page, I definitely love that! Mine is dealing with smartphone application and there are lots of things to do, I am still a newcomer in webpage design. Be careful!

29. Hey, what do you really feel on the subject of wireless router access? Really awesome idea, huh?

30. Experience a thrilling 4WD ride along the endless sand dunes. Join in on fun desert activities like sand boarding, camel rides, belly dance show with a delicious …