Think Like An Entrepreneur

This article, by Louise Lee, was published in Strings Magazine in the August 2009 edition.

It’s a common dilemma. You’ve had excellent musical training. Your playing sounds great. But you’re still figuring out how to start, or jump-start, a career. The answer, says David Cutler—author of the book The Savvy Musician: Building a Career, Earning a Living & Making a Difference—lies in learning to think like an entrepreneur.

Sure, all players know and recognize the standard opportunities of competitions, teaching jobs at established schools, auditions for orchestra slots, and advertised gigs. Each of those paths may attract many applicants, sometimes dozens or even hundreds.

But thinking like an entrepreneur means that instead of chasing only those conventional routes, you’re also considering opportunities that don’t even exist yet and that you create through your own energy, imagination, and initiative.

After all, when you come up with your own project and present it with a new and interesting spin, or otherwise pursue a different path, you’ve got far less competition.

Stand Out from the Crowd

Targeted at classical and jazz musicians, The Savvy Musician aims to help players learn “how to effect positive change that’s relevant and how to survive doing it and not live off food stamps,” says Cutler, associate professor of musicianship and composition and director of music entrepreneurship at Duquesne University.

One of the overarching messages of the book is that players should learn to think in terms most often associated not with music, but with business and commerce: branding, product development, marketing, supply and demand. Accepting the commercial aspects of a music career may initially be a downer for the artistic-minded individual, but it only reflects the reality of the music industry. After all, the number of qualified players far exceeds the number of existing jobs, so those who take initiative and create their own opportunities will stand out.

“Entrepreneurs have an edge on those who have simply done ‘the normal thing,’” says Cutler, who adds that music entrepreneurs can pack a concert hall, garner media attention, attract students, and make a decent living all at once. “You can’t be just another cellist.”

Identify What You Stand For

Cutler’s book came about after the author realized his own formal education didn’t include advice on financial survival. “Entrepreneur was a word I never heard at school,” says Cutler, adding that he was “good at school,” winning awards and gaining plenty of recognition during his studies at Indiana University and the Eastman School of Music. “Then as graduation approached, I realized that I’d have to work.

“It was a hard moment for me.”

The Savvy Musician includes hefty doses of practical nuts-and-bolts information. The book offers advice on topics ranging from planning publicity (send announcements to media critics two to three months prior to the event; distribute posters three to four months prior) to writing your artist bio (even if you studied at a top school, don’t open with your educational pedigree; do use quotes or comments from reviewers or other respected sources).

Of greater value are the book’s dozens of case studies, many of which concern string players, that Cutler includes to demonstrate the many ways in which real working musicians are packaging themselves and their artistry to cut their own paths. Each of Cutler’s vignettes illustrates a single issue that entrepreneurial players need to tackle.

Here’s a sampling:

• Just as companies spend millions communicating the ideas and values their brand names represent, you should identify what you stand for. New York violinist and violist Caleb Burhans, for instance, bases his professional image on versatility. His biography notes that besides performing orchestral and chamber works on viola and violin, Burhans composes, sings, and improvises.

• Everyone in business, including musicians, needs to seek out new customers continually. Wanting to engage listeners with little or no background in classical music, violist Edward Klorman, co-artistic director of the Canandaigua LakeMusic Festival in Canandaigua, New York, created the concert series Classical Blue Jeans. Her concerts occur in familiar local venues, and audience members are encouraged to wear jeans. The event opens with a barbecue dinner and continues with a presentation in which listeners are invited to coach the musicians, compose melodies, or otherwise participate.

• Successful entrepreneurs identify unmet needs in their individual communities. Cellist Deborah Davis started MADCAP Music Camps in Allentown, Pennsylvania, for local teenage string players and other instrumentalists. Students pay tuition to attend the camp, which over time has expanded to include a jazz program. The camp fills a need in Davis’ local area and generates income for her and a teaching staff.

• Becoming an authority on an unusual area sets you apart. Researching the role of art and music at the Terezin concentration camp, Boston violist Mark Ludwig traveled to the Czech Republic, interviewed Holocaust survivors, and located scores. Ludwig founded the Terezin Chamber Music Foundation, which honors the memory of composers who died in World War II and sponsors commissions of new chamber works. Ludwig has also created a classroom curriculum about Terezin musicians and written essays and taught college-level classes on the topic.

Write a Business Plan

Whether you’re planning a single event or an ongoing enterprise, Cutler advises readers that the first step is to sit down and write out what amounts to a business plan, just like you’d do if you were launching a company. Writing out a plan forces you to articulate details and get beyond vague notions. Ask yourself the hard questions: What is the prevailing goal? What specifically do you hope to accomplish? What service are you offering, and to precisely what audiences? How will you promote your effort?

Remember that, ultimately, you’re an artist seeking the best opportunities to promote your art and serve your community.

“Being savvy doesn’t mean you’re selling out your integrity or what’s important to you,” Cutler says.

To order The Savvy Musician: Building a Career, Earning a Living & Making a Difference, visit savvymusician.com.

127 Responses to “Think Like An Entrepreneur”

1. Seems thinking of shifting from Joomla to Wordpress because it can much easier to make use of and much more easy. But the is actually I have many posts, and I don’t know what to do… since I’m not really a programmer or anything… How do i migrate from Joomla to Wordpress?.

2. best safari says:

Desert Safari Dubai. Experience the adventure, thrill and fun of Desert Safari Dubai.

3. Dubai City Info, UAE – Information guide on Dubai jobs, Dubai map, metro, best tours, cheap hotels, events, news, expats, shopping deals, classifieds, business directory, autos, apartments, property, medical tourism in UAE, Emirates, Gulf, GCC & Middle East

4. Super Savers in Dubai: Check out 376 reviews and photos of Viator’s Dubai Super Saver: City Sightseeing Tour and Desert Safari

5. You are completely right. I really enjoyed reading this info and I will certainly get back for more soon. My own website is dealing with account recovery, you can check it out if you’re still interested in that.

6. Don says:

Terrific pictures. I’ve incorporated your website within a existing report “20 Amazing Pictures Weblogs – Philadelphia”. Be sure to heck it out Though by yourself incorporate a minute. Most straightforward of luck and preserve up the very good do the job!

7. Extremely excellent short post. I simply must tell you that I really love your pages write up.

8. Jesse Grillo says:

I just saw your blogs on Tuesday. When I started my browser this site was running. Check it, I really love your posts.

9. How do I regain my computer to an earlier time?

10. cannabis app says:

You remind me of my girlfriend back in Iowa. it is like you wrote the book on it or something. You have made my day! You should be thanked more often. So thank you!!

11. kik login says:

You’re completely right! I really enjoyed reviewing this and I will get back for more soon. My internet site is dealing with kik for computer, you could look if you are interested in that.

12. You are completely right! I loved reviewing this article and I will certainly come back for more right away. My own site is dealing with recover password, you might take a glance if you happen to be interested in this.

13. I am seriously enjoying the theme/design of your site. Do you ever face any internet browser interface problems? A few of the blog readers have complained regarding my omega xl specifications site not working correctly in Explorer but appears awesome in Safari. Are there any kind of ideas to help correct that situation?

14. Thank you for sharing your info. Check it, I like your pages. Your points are well made. Greetings from New York! amazing post, thanks a lot.

15. click here says:

You are entirely right. I enjoyed reading through this info and I will certainly get back for more right away. My site is on the subject of best bass headphones, you could take a glance if you are still interested in this.

16. You are totally correct. I really liked reading through this info and I will come back for more as quickly as possible. Our internet site is on wireless sport headphones, you could take a glance if you are still interested in that.

17. click here says:

You’re definitely correct, I’d really like to find out a lot more on that issue! I’m also captivated by best smartphone apps as I feel it truly is quite trendy nowadays. Keep this up!

18. Many thanks for sharing this, I saved this site. I’m additionally searching for information around smartphone features, are you aware where I might come across a thing such as this? I will come back quickly!

19. Tell Me how says:

I simply must tell you that you have an excellent and unique site that I kinda enjoyed reading.

20. Can I use Joomla to update a purely CODE coded site (I suggest a website that is not designed using Joomla)?

21. Almost three years ago, my old pc had many bad viruses and bad pop-ups. I possess some data files left on that pc and I did not find them for almost three years ago. I wonder I should to see my old files again which i can connect to my brand-new computer to old pc. That is certainly problem which i is scared which bad viruses can come to my new one particular from outdated one. Please let me know how i could get my old data files move from my older computer to my new computer with no bring bad viruses to my brand-new one?.

22. Thank you a lot for giving everyone remarkably superb possiblity to read articles and blog posts from this blog. It is always so lovely plus stuffed with a good time for me and my office colleagues to visit your web site on the least three times in 7 days to find out the new stuff you have got. Of course, I’m actually fulfilled for the surprising guidelines served by you. Selected 3 tips in this post are truly the most efficient we’ve ever had.

23. Is there free software or online database to keep track of scheduled blogs? I would love it to keep track of past and future posts. I have always been trying to avoid creating a spreadsheet in Excel..

24. I need to acquire a little extra money and I am an extremely opinionated person so I feel as if writing websites would be a great start to making some extra cash. I have always been a full period college student and I also provide a 20 dollars hour a week job yet I have always been still having problems making payments. Thanks for any help!.

25. An fascinating dialogue is value comment. I believe that it’s best to write more on this topic, it might not be a taboo subject however typically individuals are not enough to speak on such topics. To the next. Cheers

26. I am really loving the theme/design of your blog. Do you ever run into any browser compatibility issues? A couple of my blog readers have complained about my site not operating correctly in Explorer but looks great in Opera. Do you have any advice to help fix this issue?

27. I just continued Blogspot and made a blog, I would like to make it for invited members only. I’ve noticed blogs like that, but I don’t know ways to do it personally. I currently made it to ensure that my blog isn’t noticeable from my profile, but I can’t say for sure what to do next..