Music Entrepreneurship? Um, why should I care?

Entrepreneurship is quite the buzzword these days. Even in the music world. There are now music entrepreneurship courses, conferences, books, discussion groups, think tanks, and websites. Well, it is a cool word (if you could only learn to spell it…), but it sounds so “business-y.” Didn’t you become an artist, at least in part, to embrace a creative and meaningful livelihood far outside the business sector? What could music entrepreneurship possibly have to offer you?

A lot! In fact, it could hold the very key to reaching your professional goals, personal ambitions, and artistic dreams. But first, you have to understand what the concept means. Only then can you fathom the true potential it holds.

According to the American Heritage Dictionary, an entrepreneur is “a person who organizes, operates, and assumes risk for a business venture.” With this definition, someone who buys and runs a Starbucks or McDonalds franchise would qualify. Others argue that a true Entrepreneur, with a capital E, is someone who creates a totally unique enterprise. Many people already operate coffee or burger joints; real Entrepreneurs invent novel concepts. Hmmmm…in all likeliness, neither of those definitions have much to do with you.

Here’s what entrepreneurship means to me: individuals who take control of their lives, create opportunities, think outside the box, get the “big picture,” and are not afraid to question conventional wisdom. Under this definition, entrepreneurial inclinations also influence artistic, educational, or personal decisions, even when no finances are involved. It’s a type of problem solving. Even artists with traditional 9-5 jobs can benefit from these principles. Entrepreneurship equals creativity—as much an attitude as it is a business practice.

With this understanding, consider the many ways an entrepreneurial mindset can help you succeed:

1. Enhance financial gain. Entrepreneurs discover and create opportunities for earning income, regardless of environment. Even artists with traditional jobs can benefit from generating additional work.
  2. Create freedom and gratification. Entrepreneurship means taking control of your destiny. Most artist-entrepreneurs proudly pursue “labors of love.”
  3. Stand out. Many arts opportunities are cutthroat to obtain. Creative entrepreneurs have an edge on those who have simply pursued a normal path.
  4. Address job demands. Aspects of many arts jobs, even traditional ones, require entrepreneurial solutions (recruiting students, attracting audiences, etc.).
  5. Ensure a legacy. Most artists hope to make some sort of meaningful positive difference in the lives of others. Entrepreneurial actions can result in powerful legacies.

In my articles, I will address a variety of financial, artistic, and personal issues designed to help you—the musician—thrive. Sometimes this means creative visioning. In other cases, it entails examining the nitty-gritty of arts business realities. Whether we call these explorations “Strategies for Reaching Life Goals as a Musician” or simply “Music Entrepreneurship,” I sincerely hope you will care. Because at the heart of every post will be a single priority: your success.

88 Responses to “Music Entrepreneurship? Um, why should I care?”

1. Outstanding roof repairing experience ! Thanks to every person over at The Roof Kings! Check them out below!

2. Excellent roof repairing experience ! Many thanks to everybody over at The Roof Kings! Check them out here!

3. F*ckin’ awesome things here. I’m very satisfied to look your post. Thank you a lot and i am taking a look ahead to contact you. Will you kindly drop me a e-mail?

4. I use one computer running Windows vista which is definitely connected to the internet and I would like to be able to get the web on my second computer (that’s got XP) which usually is connected via a all terain cable. So what do I need to set to be able to browse the web on my second computer?. The LOCAL AREA NETWORK connection is definitely running fine, I just don’t know what to set and where you can get the net working on my 7 computer..

5. Linnie Smyer says:

Thanks for articles

6. david johson says:

so useful for me thanks …

7. آیفون 8 says:

thank you.. very nice

8. music says:

good article thanks …

9. Casey Essa says:

I want to use the WayBackMachine to attempt to retrieve my old Bing! 360 Blogs, but I don’t know what the URL structure was. Up to now I am coming up empty. Anybody come with an example LINK that I can use to rebuild a valid URL for my old blog page? Thanks!.

10. We open it then something pops up saying:.. Chrome has stopped working.. Home windows can check online for the solution to the problem… Therefore can anyone help to fix it?.

11. thank you.. very nice

12. What really is a blog and how should i start one particular?

13. moviesupdate says:

I do agree with all of the ideas you have offered for your post. They’re very convincing and can definitely work. Still, the posts are very short for novices. May you please lengthen them a bit from subsequent time? Thanks for the post.

14. thanks for this post.

15. nice , best article music

16. pone says:

so useful how can i contact with you ?

17. Desert Safari Dubai is a crazy Desert safari ride from Arabian Company that will bring you here and there in the sand hills. You will enjoy the Dune Bashing in the middle of the desert safari and you will get a chance to take photos and taking a gander at the delightful encompassing around you. After that, you proceed with the excursion and land into a camp to see the desert and walk in the desert, do the Then you will go to the Camp for Amazing Traditional Entertainment and BBQ + Boofa Dinner with unlimited soft drinks. The Arabian Desert covers the majority of Arab Emirates

18. Escape Dubai for the evening and enjoy multiple activities on a 6 to 7-hour red dune desert safari. Drive across the red sand dunes by 4WD vehicle. Watch the sunset over the desert sands. Go to a desert camp for a barbecue dinner and much more.

19. Tayna says:

Thanks a lot for sharing this with all of us you really understand what you’re speaking about! Bookmarked. Please also seek advice from my website =). We can have a link trade contract among us!

20. Basically reword a news article is that copyright?

21. Joette says:

Hi! I just would like to give a huge thumbs up for the wonderful info you have here on this post. I will probably be coming back to your weblog for much more soon.

22. There are actually terrific changes on the structure of the page, I certainly enjoy it! My site is relating to how to track mobile location and right now there are a lot of stuff to be done, I am still a newcomer in website creation. Cheers!

23. kik login says:

I constantly go through your site content thoroughly. I’m also curious about kik messenger login, perhaps you might discuss that sometimes. I’ll be back soon.

24. I loved as much as you’ll receive carried out right here. The sketch is attractive, your authored material stylish. nonetheless, you command get got an nervousness over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come more formerly again as exactly the same nearly a lot often inside case you shield this hike.

25. I like Your Article about – Gulvafslibning | Kurt Gulvmand Perfect just what I was searching for! .

26. News Script says:

our bedding collections consists of beddings that come from new york and this are great bedding collections`

27. Hello there could you let me know which platform you’re working with? I’m seeking to get started on my own personal blog on download kik messenger in the near future although I’m having a tough time choosing.

28. You’re absolutely right! I liked reading this article and I will certainly get back for more right away. Our internet site is on the subject of running earphones, you can take a look if you’re still interested in this.

29. I was conversing with a buddy of my own regarding this info and regarding cheap desktop computers as well. I think you made a few very good points in this case, we are excited to continue reading stuff from you.

30. my website says:

It was wonderful reading this article and I believe you’re entirely right. Tell me if you’re looking into top desktop computers, that is my main competency. I hope to hear from you soon enough, take good care!

31. Thank you, I’ve recently been hunting for information about this topic for ages and yours is the best I’ve found so far.

32. Vernon says:

Well I really liked reading it. This tip offered by you is very practical for correct planning.

33. the organization is conferred towards making your outing to Dubai, additional exceptional. Our organization’s point isn’t simply to offer a keep running over the ridges; it is to give you an ordeal of your lifetime. From morning safari Dubai and night safari visits to Hummer desert safari trips and everything in the middle of, our organization is committed towards giving you a chance to experience Dubai to its fullest dune safari trip

34. I felt amazing reading this article and I feel you’re 100 right. Inform me if you’re curious about apps for android phones, that’s my main competence. I hope to check back with you in the near future, take care!

35. There is amazing upgrades on the style of your website, I truly like it. My own is about smartphone reviews and generally there are lots of things to be done, I’m yet still a rookie in web design. Cheers!

36. I actually post all of them, they obtain 1 or 2 views, and then no longer. I would like my content to do more than just give us a few sights… how do I have them on the search engines like google or something similar to that? Can no one ever go to my blog page just because I don’t post every day?.