Inward Artist, Outward Artist

My last posting stressed the importance of becoming a “you, you, you” outward artist, as opposed to a “me, me, me” inward artist. The attitude you adopt affects every aspect of your artistic life, from product development and projects pursued to marketing and sales. Which kind of artist are you?

Please note: though feminine pronouns are used below, neither category is limited by gender!

THE INWARD ARTIST:

THE OUTWARD ARTIST:
Makes music to show off her talent. Makes music to help the world become a better place in some small way.
Delivers work of that is personally interesting, with no consideration of the audience. Delivers work that will also resonate with the audience, considering their unique background, experiences, and interests. Program themes are often connected to community interests, current events, popular hobbies, social issues, educational objectives, solving problems, etc.
Ignores the audience perspective. Doesn’t really think about what it’s like to witness her event—she just makes the art. Prioritizes the audience perspective. She considers how the event will look, sound, and feel, contemplating the psychological journey spectators will traverse.
Favors music that is fun to produce. Favors music that is fun to experience.
Is often surprised that events last longer than expected. Times events in advance. She is careful not to impose “too much of a good thing.”
Ignores viewers during performances. Engages viewers through dialogue, banter, humor, and/or interactive activities.
Hides out during intermission and flees after the show finale. Mingles with fans at every opportunity, continuing and building relationships.
Focuses post-event dialogue on herself: her mistakes, accomplishments, and vision. Focuses post-event dialogue on her fans: your experience, thoughts, and interests.
Shows self-interest in conversations, sharing a lot of answers. Shows curiosity in conversations, asking a lot of questions.
Is largely inflexible, insisting on optimal conditions at every turn. Bends over backwards to accommodate employers and enthusiasts.
Produces promotional materials that read like laundry lists of accomplishments. Others are impressed by how much she’s done and how phenomenal she is. Produces promotional materials that establish credibility, but also show how her art will benefit you.
Focuses job and grant application letters on how the opportunity will benefit her. Emphasizes how her employment/project would benefit the institution or community.
Pursues “vanity” projects. Pursues projects valuable to others.
Networks only to get ahead. Also networks to extend a helping hand, understanding that relationships go both ways.
Locks herself in a practice room ad nauseum, with few outside interests. Cares about the world at large, staying informed about current events, industry trends, community affairs, social causes, etc.
Gripes that nobody cares about her art form. Actively creates projects that are relevant and intriguing. (Because of this approach, people absolutely care about her art form!)
Prioritizes becoming a great musician. Also prioritizes being a great human being.
Aspires to amaze people with her high level talent. Aspires to make a true difference and leave lasting legacies.

Is it any wonder that outward artists experience much greater levels of success?

137 Responses to “Inward Artist, Outward Artist”

1. Mode says:

I do enjoy the manner in which you have presented this particular concern plus it does indeed offer me personally some fodder for consideration. However, because of everything that I have experienced, I simply trust as other responses stack on that individuals keep on issue and not embark on a soap box associated with the news du jour. All the same, thank you for this fantastic piece and though I do not go along with it in totality, I value the standpoint.

2. vergleiche says:

The root of your writing while appearing agreeable originally, did not really settle very well with me personally after some time. Someplace throughout the paragraphs you actually managed to make me a believer unfortunately only for a short while. I still have a problem with your leaps in assumptions and one would do well to fill in those gaps. In the event you actually can accomplish that, I will certainly end up being impressed.

3. The heart of your writing whilst sounding reasonable originally, did not really sit very well with me after some time. Someplace within the paragraphs you managed to make me a believer but just for a short while. I still have a problem with your jumps in assumptions and you might do nicely to fill in those gaps. If you actually can accomplish that, I could undoubtedly be amazed.

4. [...] One of my favorite university experiences thus far has been the opportunity to hear David Cutler give his talk on the inward vs outward artist. In short, he comes to the conclusion that successful artists are those who focus on serving other people—especially their audiences—more than they focus on benefiting their own personal or musical desires. (For further understanding of Cutler’s ideals, follow this link.) [...]

5. Oh my goodness! Impressive article dude! Many thanks, However I am going
    through issues with your RSS. I don?t know the reason why I am unable to join it.
    Is there anybody else having the same RSS issues?
    Anyone that knows the solution can you kindly
    respond? Thanx!!

6. Jin Sackos says:

I really like your wp web template, wherever do you get a hold of it through?

7. Hi there, You have done an incredible job. I’ll certainly digg it and in my opinion suggest to my friends. I am sure they will be benefited from this website.

8. What is the best place to start a free blog?

9. Jonah Bodary says:

responsive blogger templates 2013

10. Pretty! This was an extremely wonderful article.Many thanks for supplying this info.

11. Por ello, presenta un nuevo servicio, el Compromiso Siemens Garantizado 48h, por el que se compromete a reparar el electrodoméstico en un plazo máximo de 2 días, de lo contrario, regala un año de garantía adicional. Con 30 centros propios y una red de 315 servicios oficiales, lo que supone un total de 630 técnicos altamente cualificados y con el mejor conocimiento del producto, tanto pequeño como gran electrodoméstico. Y también cuando la empresa tiene una alta disponibilidad de repuestos originales; en el caso de Siemens para aparatos de hasta 10 años de antigüedad. Todos los técnicos Siemens disponen del carnet Oficial de Anfel (Asociación Nacional de Fabricantes de Electrodomésticos).

12. Index Apk says:

Is it possible to convert a two column Joomla template into a three line one?

13. Well I truly liked studying it. This subject provided by you is very practical for accurate planning.

14. In my opinion, savvymusician.com does a great job of dealing with subject matter of this kind! While often deliberately controversial, the material posted is in the main well researched and stimulating.

15. As a Newbie, I am permanently browsing online for articles that can benefit me. Thank you

16. baja wf 200 says:

Is there free software or online data source to keep track of scheduled blog posts? I would love it to keep track of past and future content. I was trying to avoid creating a spreadsheet in Exceed..

17. In my opinion, savvymusician.com does a good job of covering issues of this type! Even if often deliberately polemic, the posts are generally thoughtful and challenging.

18. Like savvymusician.com– extremely user-friendly and lots to explore!

19. 11/15/2016 savvymusician.com does it yet again! Very interesting site and a good post. Keep up the good work!

20. Ways to upload a template that was produced in dreamweaver to my joomla site?

21. I want to begin to put my photos on my camera, and start a blog or something. Exactly where is a good spot to do this just like a website or something, do i have to copyright them thanks a lot: ).

22. I am aware nothing regarding blogging, The just that my good friend tells me to use wordpress but I wish to start my blog offline to save money. So , can I use ez generator as an off-line blogger while using the wordpress onto it?.

23. Thank you for each of your effort on this website. My mom loves participating in research and it’s easy to see why. My spouse and i learn all of the compelling mode you produce priceless tips via the blog and therefore recommend contribution from other people on this topic while our own child is in fact understanding a lot of things. Take pleasure in the rest of the new year. You are always carrying out a remarkable job.

24. I would like to convey my affection for your kindness for people who actually need guidance on this one study. Your very own dedication to passing the message along ended up being remarkably advantageous and have continually encouraged employees just like me to reach their endeavors. Your entire interesting tutorial indicates this much a person like me and much more to my mates. Thank you; from all of us.

25. how can u put u’re very own pics pertaining to the background? also how do u put music?.

26. How frequently will Fb check for a brand new LiveJournal post to import to my notes?

27. What does it take to get started in running a blog with monetary compensation?

28. What are the very best websites and blogs focused on reading and literature?

29. mesintekno says:

Make sure you answer both questions completely:.. What’s the simplest way to make sure that easily copyright some thing, that it’s mine without need to copyright each article or blog individually?.. ALSO:.. Now i’m a poet and I want to copyright my work with out have to pay “per poem” — how can I do this, but also be able to obtain things copyrighted regularly?.

30. How can i make my very own Blogger design? I currently made a header, I wish to learn how to make a complementing layout?

31. Can a computer virus passively contaminate the computer by simply being online?

32. how come some blogs in a blogroll do not have their most recent post listed and the like do? How you can change that?

33. Andre says:

F*ckin’ amazing things here. I am very happy to see your article. Thank you so much and i am looking ahead to touch you. Will you please drop me a mail?

34. Anna Safari says:

Desert Safari Dubai turns out to be extremely bother free as you can appreciate the excellence and excite of the place with no sort of stress or stresses as the desert safari bargain incorporates each action that you can partake in whether it is free or paid. It likewise incorporates how long would you be able to appreciate a specific movement

35. Francisco says:

although internet websites we backlink to below are considerably not associated to ours, we feel they are essentially worth a go through, so have a look

36. We provide Desert Safari Dubai, Dune Buggy Safari, Sand Boarding Safari & other adventure activities Book Desert Safari Dubai. Call on (+971) 44569944

37. Destination Insight: The Best Desert Safari Tour – See 114 traveler reviews, 256 candid photos, and great deals for Dubai, United Arab Emirates, at TripAdvisor.